Clear All

Have any cleaned up pictures I’d like to see them
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Below for you, good sir.👍

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      So what’s the measurements of it? Looks really good

• Cskelton
      Cskelton commented
      Editing a comment
      Unbelievable. As everyone said, find of a lifetime.

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll put a tape to it this evening. It’s about 10” tall. It’s not very big for a Quapaw water bottle, a little on the smaller side.

Thanks for the pic Jason. Again, way cool once in a lifetime find. But may you find ten more there!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Jason, do you have to keep pinching yourself to make sure you are not dreaming, lol .That is an AMAZING find!!!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have definitely caught myself saying “this can’t be real...”😳

I might of missed it but what state?
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Barely in Arkansas, about 3/4 mile from the bank of the Mississippi.

Congrats man that thing is outstanding!!!

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, it’s one of my beat finds ever for sure.👍

Too fricking cool!
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I must have said that a thousand times.😮😊

What a great find and one that's going to be hard to beat .

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s for sure, South fork. The river is rising AGAIN and will likely take even more away, so I’m holding out hope for one more good run. I’ve got a couple more sites that belong to friends upriver I’m wanting to check out also. The amount of stuff uncovered is amazing. An area about 250 yards by about 25 yards, 18”-24 deep, all the sandy soils are gone and all the heavy debris is just laying there.😁

Jethro , Ron said it best . If anyone deserves to find a piece of pottery like that and preserve the past it’s you my friend .
      I know how much you appreciate and admire all of the different time periods of each piece .
      That my friend is a find of a life time . Well done !! Well deserved .

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was waiting on you to see this....😀

What do you feel is the material . I have a black clay deep in our creek and red down the road . It explains the different colors and yes the firing process .
      what do you think . Look how smooth that is wow . Let’s get technical I can’t stand it

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a funny thing, how the firing process changes the color and overall appearance of pottery. The ground here has what we call “gumbo” in places. It’s the stickiest stuff you’ve ever seen. It’s very much a clay-like soil, and if you find it undesturbed(read: unplowed) then it is almost blue in color. It will dry out on the surface and demand moist inside for a million years I think. I’ve never seen anything like it. I have, at the instruction of an old pot hunter, taken some, and hat full of mussel shells, crushed the shells up pretty fine, and mixed them like bread dough, then made ropes and actually made a pot, fired it, and sat back and tried to admire my handy work..... It was the ugliest thing a human ever created, but it gave me a good idea of the process they used.
        This clay changes color the hotter you get it. A really hot fire will turn it brick orange in color.

Going to make you laugh . S Cal has this Adobe clay . As kids ( best friend my brother ) would take it and without knowing about tempering or firing we would fashion clay balls . This was war with the neighborhood kids and forts . I would put a finishing touch of placing Rose thorns on one side of them for a true weapon effect. Let them dry in the hot 100 deg summer
      sun . We called them our war bombs .
      Yes I graduated into throwing pots but used the coil process
      first . That coil process can be very effective and therapeutic
      Mothers today would have called the police .
      I just still can’t get over the fine polish of that black pot! It’s a beauty .

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are right, it did make me laugh.😀👍👍
    Working...
    X