Couple pieces I found yesterday (5-12-19) in Ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple pieces I found yesterday (5-12-19) in Ga

I'm pretty clueless about pottery. Need to really try to learn all the styles. I've focused solely on trying to master point ID but have a bucket full of pottery that I know nothing about. One of the sherds was a bottom piece I think with the small nipple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8bot40SrT4Oke2-6DE4cuzh6TYDQv6MTMCPqXiEz3USSkz7lguWukJgwd8rXZhmUOXnae3D3XUiIdkJH0G89oeGIMUU6byteV5e7-x8AoshwfZI-oT-2Ag89H7kaUF6YITnB-vxCcXbzNEpD0uQzOmwQHpSjeDE3PrfDhHV6FZXozSRR1A5wrawMoqOw_X7tc5cLAyCs4Sj_Usk6FvvrtN3sV2C2IZbPgARgsXQU7Ld34lJrhXNon6XRmm-AYq
Views:	200
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	366784 Click image for larger version

Name:	nbOwy-J0o5YFg8IwAOy3vwtgcTAJjMM8jFi6KW_6uftzdgSNmgphD_7b1TtMBssQpyLp1A2AS7vmM-i85kg61d4lVsxA6IKyI4pkX-AqJGf4FEbR_g7i6xYyvKzP5j3EhRvhzbSNOCaWd5Ct4ML8GY4Ck_v3YPf1WLxh7CVcvBHpXZhFoeMqPQxgCy81Z-Kd_T6kmR6DtYg86H2KhgpwU5eNJvf3xXtZMoyGd73TcARQHPW4Bqg5EAc0vV30rVs
Views:	210
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	366785

You can spend a lifetime trying to learn all the styles. They are as diverse and numerous as the people who made them. You are definitely on some good ground!👍
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Nice designs on your pottery, I would like it but my like button does not seem to be working.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• georgiafieldwalker
        georgiafieldwalker commented
        Editing a comment
        Willjo comments are much more valuable than likes!

I like!
      Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Check stamped and cord marked
        NW Georgia,

Comment

As far as can tell from reading, pottery was not produced by the people in my area of northern California.

Basketry was preferred for vessels and they made amazing things.

Sadly, baskets can't survive to be hunted.

I doubt I'll ever find pottery which is sad because it's so interesting and cool in the way it gives expression to NA art and design.

Those little pottery shards are likely from ordinary household objects but they reveal a person's imagination too.

Or are the textures and markings functional in some utilitarian way?

Any idea of the age of these kinds of objects?

California

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Late woodland is rite around 1000 bp

I am south of you in Stewart county . I see a nice waffle stamp upper left . If you go to our peachtree archeology site they have great info on the pottery in Georgia . I have boxes myself but only take the unusual pieces . You defiantly have some paddle stamp there so look for interesting tools in the area from making the wood stamps . Swiftcreek is my area and you can google that they did venture North . Show me ask me I will look up for you .

Comment

Also if you like go to the pottery thread and look up one of my larger sherds a good portion of a pot for an example . Willjo sent me a great book I can reference designs . Leaving Fri night to look for more . In Hawaii now

Comment

Interesting variety
            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
            X