Pottery lesson for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery lesson for me

I cannot post all the pottery I have found the MP problem but my lesson to myself is very interesting . This particular piece has a different design in it with the squares .
    But if you look close like the lines are not carved as well as some of the absolutely perfect ones I have posted . This Swiftcreek pottery found in SW Georgia has imperfections . Fatter lines that are not straight . This artisan was not one of the better artist and I really got a kick out of that . Found this yesterday !! And a few other choice pieces .
    Last edited by Tam; 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM.

Artisian or not, that piece is the coolest I have seen so far!
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Go to page 4 on this and look for (largest piece I have ever found . )
      That is the finest work I have seen for comparison .
      Cutting down some pines getting bit by hornets gotta go

Comment

Maybe it was due to the pressure used with the paddle that caused some lines to show and others not. If the pot is round and the paddle flat I wouldn’t think it would be a good contact to the pot. It’s a very nice piece
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call SH I was looking at it closer and did get that thought .

I think it's awesome! I've never found pottery .I do have suspect pieces but not sure . Welcome back to the Southeast!
        South Carolina

Comment

I can’t see what the complaint is about ?
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

You really start looking at this stuff it’s so interesting .. kind of wonder about every swirl . You find some interesting tools that worked the wood paddles Large engravers.

Comment

Really cool piece congrats on the Find Tam
              SW Connecticut

Comment

I think the potters of the time were much like craftsmen(or women) today. If you’ve ever seen home made furniture, you understand. Some of it is a solid and sturdy as a young mule, while others wouldn’t support the weight of a house cat. Some are ugly as a mud fence, while others don’t even appear to be real....and then there’s the IKEA stuff in between. I find lots of the ikea stuff. It’s nice, you can tell it was functional, and in it’s own way is functionally beautiful, but then you find a piece made by The GrandmotherMaster...and you realize everything else is just folding chairs and card tables in comparison...
                😇
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Yes you nailed it

Comment

Working...
                  X