• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous items, identity?

Click image for larger version

Name:	6CB6D39F-8CE4-4F76-B4E6-8E328D220DBF.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	372037 These items were included in a box of Flint artifacts that were found in the 1930’s along the Mississippi River in Northwestern Illinois and eastern Iowa and Missouri. The son of the man who found them didn’t know anything about these pottery and bead items, other than a story he heard about finds some things that had washed out of an embankment.

Are these artifacts or tourist items? If real, what are they for?

Chuck Click image for larger version  Name:	B88BF5FB-5EB4-4A42-AA51-80C3104AEE7D.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	372035 Click image for larger version  Name:	7FA22450-647A-42DC-9DEF-D9AADF47333C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	372036
    Last edited by Charles Jones; 06-09-2019, 03:13 PM.
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

IDK about the beads... The rest resemble burial items. Most prolly prehistoric to historic...
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Charles Jones
      Charles Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I knew more about the person that found them. He was a preacher, so doubtful that he dug them. The story of finding them in a wash out area might be true. The red pot looks like a shoe/moccasin. Is that common? The little cylinder pot has stain inside. Might have been a paint pot?

Or he might have bought them from a road side stand somewhere? The beads look like some I’ve seen in collections. Italian?

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like burial items for a child, often miniatures . Without relevant info from the finder, we may never know..
Working...
X