Click image for larger version

Name:	66DABFF1-452E-4F63-A84F-4EF354863D94.png
Views:	166
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	372303 Click image for larger version

Name:	A5129A36-64B5-47BD-912B-F09514CFBBB3.png
Views:	169
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	372302 I thought I had found an unfinished birdstone but as I looked closer I realized it is a tool. The body is pecked and smoothed to fit the right hand for a perfect heavy duty handle. The “beak” has a sharp bit that is perfect for cutting and chopping. It has been well used but is still one of my favorite tool finds.
    SE ARKANSAS

Name:	AB4AF480-F5BA-4175-AB8C-954B8E9D152C.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	372305
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Name:	5C44271E-6F05-4A5C-88AE-12619A9A597E.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	372307
      SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Oh my
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Name:	487820ED-B453-4C88-85A3-6AB089E25DAF.png
Views:	163
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	372316
          I believe it was also used as a shaft abrader/straightener as well as a gouge. I should mention that I found this unusual thing in a field with very little hard stone but lots of jasper debitage and archaic points at this site.
          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That's pretty cool....I probably would've looked right over that....
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Me to I probably would of thought it was just a rock

Not like any birdstone or tool I have ever seen. A lot of rocks fit perfectly in the hand. It does not make them a tool. It might be an abrader
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Does the blade fold into the handle?
              Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                Lindenmeier-Man commented
                Editing a comment
                I hoped my insanity was not relatively contagious to other people !

• Ron Kelley
                Ron Kelley commented
                Editing a comment
                Too late....No vaccination available.

I thought it was an unfinished birdstone at first but realized after I washed it off that it wasn’t. It has definitely been worked and shows wear and sharpening though so it is for sure some type of cutting tool. Without a 3D photo or in hand it is difficult to see how much this rock has been hammered and ground smooth all over. I just wanted to share a unique artifact with y’all.
              SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That's a cool rock
                SW Connecticut

Comment

Natural rock in my opinion. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don’t see an artifact here.
                  South Dakota

Comment

I have checked this piece under magnification and it definitely has more than one man made alteration to it that qualifies it as an “artifact”
                    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

Come on, you post some nice artifacts but every so often you throw things like this in the mix. So think about it, you found the only one of a kind multipurpose cutter, chopper, shaft abrader, straightener, gouge. Have you done a search and found any similar examples?
                      What are the odds?
                      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I can buy it being a tool. A birdstone absolutely not IMO.

Comment

I joined to share the artifacts that I have found and learn about other artifact finds from other members here. Not trying to sell or prove anything. I was simply sharing my opinion on what this man altered rock might have been used for and seeing if anyone else has found anything similar. Did not realize that there was an online picture authentication services here that don’t even have to look at the piece in hand to verify authenticity lol.
                          SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• gregszybala
                            gregszybala commented
                            Editing a comment
                            What did you expect? You made the claims, you proposed what it is in your opinion. You post something like this on the internet, on a forum and expect no comments except, "oh you are so right, I can clearly see everything you claim it to be based on the pictures that show nothing you speak of." We are all here to share and learn from each other. I make no claims as to my authentication services but if I did you wouldn't get it for free! I have voiced my opinion, I'm sorry it rubs you the wrong way. Prove me wrong, I'd be happy to retract my comments if that rock turns out to be all you claim.

• Gatorboy
                            Gatorboy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Here's how I see it. You make a post called "Unbelievable Birdstone Tool!" and post a pic of what at best appears to be an ancient bludgeoning stone. That is misinformation. But there may be people who don't know that, and take it at face value. That's a problem, that's why when there is misinformation a moderator steps in and points it out...
                        Working...
                        X