Barton Incised Pottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barton Incised Pottery?

Hello All. I picked this up yesterday in an antique mall of all places. An incised bowl that is approx. 3.5 x 5 inches. It has a couple of repairs but otherwise seems in great condition. Was hoping to get opinions on authenticity and is the dating on the tag correct? 1200-1600?

Thanks
    Eric

What state and did it give any information on it when you bought it? Maybe show the bottom and the inside
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Hi Surfacehunter, Click the link beside the 3 pictures and the 4th (pic of bottom) will show up. It is written on the bottom that it was found in Floodway, Mississippi County, Arkansas

Thanks
      Eric

Comment

Welcome to the site. It seems to fit description and time period. Nice pick up.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Did they have anymore? I can never get that lucky when shopping
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Yeah right on SH. I never find that kind of stuff around here. If so its off the dial $. Nice pickup there. Makes a great conversation piece.
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Welcome from Connecticut.. cool pot...Nice aquisition
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Thanks everyone! I believe I got pretty lucky with this one then. Very Reasonable imo. Is it known what it might have been used for? It has the 2 small handles with a hole so maybe it could have been hung on some type of cord?

Thanks again
                Eric

Comment

Hey Eric, That sure is a beautiful pot.
                  Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

The flat handle is called a lug the other with hole I’m not sure probably cordage. I’ve never found any with that type of cordage hole so idk if they had them or not ancient wise?
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

I use to know a few folks that probed for pots in Arkansas . During the 80’s they dug lots of nice pots . Perhaps that is one of them...
                      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                        SurfaceHunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’ve seen some at shows they always have a hole in them from the probe

• Lindenmeier-Man
                        Lindenmeier-Man commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep

Oh man I would pick that up in a heartbeat .
                      Its beautiful . Great detail

Comment

Looks like Barton incised to me. Everything about it looks legit. The asymmetry is on point, the material looks right...the firing marks look good.. I’d love to hold it and be able to say for certain, but knowing that area and the sheer number of pots that were dug there in the last 100 years, I’d say odds are about 100% it’s legit... the lugs should be 90 degrees out from two nodes with holes, they would have been used to suspend it from a tripod over a fire. I have a small Old Town Red one similar in construction.

If people fake stuff, it’s usually(always) the high end stuff, polychrome, effigies, headpots...etc. very nice pickup.

was it bought in the area, or somewhere far off?
                        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thanks everyone Thanks for the info Jethro. It was bought in Seattle. The lugs and handles are just like you say. Here are a couple pics...

Thanks again everyone!
                          Eric

Comment

That sure is nice
                            South Dakota

Comment

Working...
                            X