Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old copper (Historic) and really old copper (Archaic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old copper (Historic) and really old copper (Archaic)

The bulk of my collection is in storage while we live overseas, but I have bought a few things and had them shipped to my sisters house.

These Old Copper items were all found by Roger Mussatti in a couple of counties in Wisconsin & Michigan. I was able to create one keeper frame, and then another study frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	380031
    Last edited by clovisoid; 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Here is the other frame. Lots of hammered copper, some simple points, pieces of larger tools, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	380039
    Last edited by clovisoid; 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM.

Comment

This second group are from the Loitwood collection and are historic trade items found at Mandan sites in South Dakota.

The points would have been cut from copper items by Natives. The second frame includes beads and tinkler cones for adornment.

Comment

Wow, and I don’t say that lightly ! I’m so happy to see this collection... This is beyond museum quality ! TY for preserving this history Sir !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Really nice collection, I don't see anything like that down my way.
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• clovisoid
            clovisoid commented
            Editing a comment
            I grew up on the fringe of the copper zone, and found a couple of small chunks but nothing clearly worked. Metal detectorists are really the only ones who put together self found collections.

Very nice just awesome thanks for sharing.
          Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Hey Joshua, Thanks for sharing the pictures. That's an awesome copper collection.
            Michigan Yooper
            If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

That is amazing! Just a killer collection of points. How did they make them? Did they cast them, or pound them, or something?
              "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                Pound them, and heat them but not to the point of melting the copper.

• Kentucky point
                Kentucky point commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, that's what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to melt it, but nothing I have goes up to 1,900 degrees. Thanks.

• clovisoid
                clovisoid commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, annealing copper is done at much more reasonable fire temps and you don’t need to handle molten metal. Copper will work fine with a hammer, but eventually gets brittle and is prone to breaking.

Hammer it until it’s brittle, toss it in a fire, hammer it again once you can handle it again, repeat until you have the shape you want.

There is some debate still, some of the tools are hard to replicate with just annealing.

Nice pickup on all! Thanks for sharing them.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

You have an awesome collection Joshua . I am amazed at some of the artifacts and knowledge you have shared with us over the years.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Amazing array of Copper Artifacts my friend 👍

Comment

That's a whole museum. Amazing... thank you
                    New Jersey

Comment

Beautiful collection of copper artifacts! Thanks for sharing!
                      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thank you for sharing this collection. I was very lucky to have found my first copper artifacts back in June. Hopefully there will be many more to follow.
                        Bruce
                        In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Holy Cow!!! Mind is blown. Thx for sharing those. I have two "Kaskaskia" points from a midden Pinellas Co, FL..should date from before the relocation of the Seminole Tribe.. Another was found by a friend. Kinda pitiful looking but were examined by IAWARE local historical and research center and not found lacking lol Click image for larger version

Name:	coppertwist2.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	400374
                          Professor Shellman
                          Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                          X