My favorite pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite pieces

Found these after a good gullywasher! Actually it was ten + inches of rain from a hurricane. Strewn over three gravel bars, I pieced together 40 pieces on two hunts and I worked for a week to get half the puzzle done. Pretty easy with four large rim shards..sherds? Used elmers glue and tacked it at the start, after a meltdown or two I ended using the whole bottle by filling in the cracks. The half is still super fragile. I think it may have come from a trash pit that had eroded out of a bank, because the pieces did not seem recently broken. Several rhyolite waste flakes were found at the same time with most having the same parent stone. The pot is 7 in. Wide, 8 in. Tall and rim diameter is 8 in.
    North Carolina

Great job on that! It's hard work, but the coolness factor of a pot like that compared to a bucket of shards is exponential.
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That's awesome... what a treasure!

Comment

Very cool Utilized Flake sure looks like a fun but challenging puzzle. A great save!
        N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

Wow! Being able to find all of that and piece it back together, way cool.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Try Gorilla glue in place of that Elmers next time.The pot would break in a new spot before that stuff comes apart. Very cool find and project!
            SE ARKANSAS

Comment

That is impressive. I had a favorite ceramic vessel of 3-dimensional faces that shattered into gazillion pieces. Put bigger pieces back together with regular white glue, then filled in cracks and empty spaces with mixture silicon and molding clay. Took a really long time, and not the same, but all the faces have whole noses, eyes, mouths, etc, and still intriguing piece of art. To put something back together as old and precious as your piece must have been more daunting, and intimidating, even.. You did good job, that’s understatement.
              Last edited by Cecilia; 09-10-2019, 12:09 PM.
              Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Wonderful find!!! Middle to late woodland I suppose considering the nice collar.

I use masking tape and Elmer's. Peel off the masking tape the next day when the glue is dry. With Elmer's use water to unglue a mistake, or if you find another piece of the puzzle and you need to unglue a piece to get it to fit. For a large crack that needs strength mix glue and sand into a paste and apply. Then apply some powdered pottery scraps to match color if possible. Rare and kool find congrats. Pottery is facinating to study. P.S. more photos please
                New Jersey

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glue and sand. Like it!

That’s amazing. Putting one together when you have all the pieces is hard enough...doing it with a fair percentage missing is impressive.
                Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Probably messed up on bottom left but had an idea of the outline. Local anthropology professor got the first run of rim sections I had glued together...apparently there is a CPU program that scans rim sherds and gives full diameter.
                  Thanks for the comments, I have a strong connection with that single piece with the fingertip impressions in the other post. That and 8,000 year old steak knives!
                  North Carolina

Comment

Well that’s exciting ! I knew someone was going to score from that hurricane . Now I feel your melt down . Getting it just looking at it . Looks great .. love it

Comment

• utilized flake
                      utilized flake commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Got to admit the storm was 12years ago... And I completed this about 8 ybp!

Wow! That's really amazing.
                    South Carolina

Comment

The work paid off, excellent !
                      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

You did an Amazing job preserving History! Great mantle piece

Comment

Be t time I drop & smash a ceramic pot, I know who to call! Have glue will travel.
                          Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
                          X