• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Bottom

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3619E04-F5DB-4951-BCD5-29CD7078ACB2.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	391788 This is something I don’t find often. I didn’t keep it though I did find 3 other big pieces that were cord marked. Didn’t keep them either. I always find a good mud spot up high to leave it just in case someone else wants it. September is one of my slowest months for finds kind of in between for places to go. If it wasn’t for the pottery I would of gotten skunked. North Georgia surface finds
    NW Georgia,

SW of me they're all over...don't pick 'um anymore either...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rio Del Norte; 09-14-2019, 04:07 PM.
    San Luis Valley, southern Colorado

Comment

• Kentucky point
      Kentucky point commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't pick those up!?!? Dude, those are awesome! Some of us easterners would kill for pottery like that.

• Rio Del Norte
      Rio Del Norte commented
      Editing a comment
      These days I don't go to those areas much anymore, mainly 'cause of the gov crackdown on collecting antiques there, everybody's watching and there's too much stealing going on anyway. Pretty sad situation and I don't want to be a part of it.

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear that the laws have changed over the years

Maybe we can do a pottery trade some time I like the painted ones. Don’t find that here
    NW Georgia,

Comment

SH, what era is the pottery you find? I cannot find pottery or either I'm looking over it. Most of my points are Morrow Mountains, Guilfords and Savannah Rivers.
    South Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Josie View Post
      SH, what era is the pottery you find? I cannot find pottery or either I'm looking over it. Most of my points are Morrow Mountains, Guilfords and Savannah Rivers.
      You probably won’t find any pottery in that area. Most pottery is from Woodland to Mississippian period. You should find soapstone type fragments but that would be it. Late archaic has some pottery but not like the other 2 periods I mentioned. Cord marked in Woodland period. I have found some good points out there but not lately. Thanks for the interest
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Josie
        Josie commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, that's what I thought. Makes one wonder how they gathered water if they took water back to the camp since there was no pottery vessels. The site I hunt is above a creek. The water in the creek is nasty looking and stagnant. Doesn't mean it was always dirty, I guess.

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably use to be crystal clear at one time. I always find older pieces closer to the creeks and water sources. Mississippian period is usually up on high ground. I’m sure they dropped their pots on the gravel rocks while carrying the water back. I find lots of pottery in the creeks. I might should of kept the piece I posted cause it was quite flat. I forgot they made plates.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably took water back in animal stomach or bladder if didn’t have pottery. (Wonder if anybody suffered deliberate dehydration?!)

Just so you guys know the term water shoes doesn’t mean they will actually or should be worn in water. One of mine yesterday blew out. It was tough walking on all them gravel bars with a flat tire. I think next time I will take 2 pairs just in case. Of course when it happened I was a couple of miles upstream
      NW Georgia,

Comment

You guys might regret not picking those up someday!!
        Can’t find em sitting on the couch; unless it’s in a field

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          I just gave all my pottery away to another member last week. I did put my latest finds up high on a muddy bank in case someone else sees it. I know where it’s at

YOU DIDN'T PICK IT UP!? WHY? I would NEVER find something like that up here. Gee whiz...Nice photo(?) lol!
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          One year I saved all the pottery I found and it filled a 5 gallon bucket. Then I had no idea what to do with it so I did a post on another site. Title was Almost Free Pottery. Just in case someone remembers it? I gave it all away all I asked for was the shipping $6 a box.

• Kentucky point
          Kentucky point commented
          Editing a comment
          I pick up things that I don't collect, and give/sell them to folks who don't have them. I just looked on ebay, and you should see what pottery pieces are going for.

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting maybe I will

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        Click image for larger version  Name:	A3619E04-F5DB-4951-BCD5-29CD7078ACB2.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	297.5 KB ID:	391788 This is something I don’t find often. I didn’t keep it though I did find 3 other big pieces that were cord marked. Didn’t keep them either. I always find a good mud spot up high to leave it just in case someone else wants it. September is one of my slowest months for finds kind of in between for places to go. If it wasn’t for the pottery I would of gotten skunked. North Georgia surface finds
        Looks like a pot lid instead of bottom. especially with edges being smoothed
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Possibly it was different the other side was coated in slime I’m kind of wishing I had kept it now and cleaned the other side seeing it was different. With no rain coming I’m sure it will be there for a while
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Please go and bring back!

Originally posted by willjo View Post

Looks like a pot lid instead of bottom. especially with edges being smoothed
          When you blow it up there is 2 tiny holes upper top section is that there for a purpose or just a defect? I’d like to hear what you think
          NW Georgia,

Comment

• willjo
            willjo commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like flaws in material I don't think they were put there.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Idk what I was thinking way to small to be anything. I thought about it later

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Today’s good quality pot lids have little steam release valves to avoid boiling-over. Maybe that’s what the two little holes were.

Yeah, I would pick them up. Pottery sherds are always cool to pick up and share. I find a lot in the Cape Fear region, and it's interesting to analyze the patterns. I like the fact that you leave some for others to find. I like to share as well, hoping someone will take on the same interests and fascination. Thanks for sharing
          North Carolina

Comment

Am just compelled to say to Surface and Rio: SHAME, SHAME for leaving precious pieces to the elements when some addled and pitiful human waiting to provide appreciation, maybe even adoration!
            Last edited by Cecilia; 09-20-2019, 12:40 PM.
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Cecilia
              Cecilia commented
              Editing a comment
              Translation is “wannabe like them!” Wannabe so flush I’ll feel like grownup Halloween trick or treater who’s eaten so many Hersey’s that can’t even consider unwrapping Godiva Dark Chocolate Raspberry Soufflé Truffle.
              Last edited by Cecilia; 09-20-2019, 12:37 PM.

Wish I could find some pottery around here...I know its got to be around....only luck I've had with pottery finds is in florida.....that or the pottery barn
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

I’m sure it’s there where you are at. It takes a good eye to see it. This one I actually missed it a couple of times then saw it on the 3rd pass. One time I was with a friend and walked past a half of a pot cause I thought it was a log. Boy did I get the rubbing the rest of the day when he found it 🙃
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
              X