Soapstone bowl fragments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soapstone bowl fragments

Found a couple pieces of a Soapstone bowl, I have found them before but not this this and well made. As most of you all know these bowls started out as a big piece of soapstone and they carved them to shape. these two pieces are really smooth not showing any tool marks Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6713.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	401368 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6714.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	401369 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6715.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	401370 Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6709.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	401371 Last show was bad photo but has a scale for size reference.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Great finds johnny
    Wyoming

Comment

Hey Johnny, Great finds Man. I have worked a little soapstone and I am amazed at how well they worked this soft rock.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Those are nice I wonder what tools they used to make them with
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Nice willjo. Soapstone bowl frags are cool to find.....i got one piece i found last thamksgiving and its a nice rimsherd. With scrape marks..they musta used flint blades for shaping
          SW Connecticut

Comment

I've always heard that the Savannah River complex used a lot of soapstone bowls, perhaps that's why I have found several rounded off SR knives. Not blunted per say, like a beveled scraper would be, just rounded from a resharpened blade.
            North Carolina

Comment

Always enjoy finding steatite. Here's some bowl's being formed in the outcrop, at a site in RI. Then they would chisel under the piece and work out a blank which would then be scooped out. Here you're looking down on the underside of future bowls. We live near the quarries, and have a couple of complete blanks that were brought back to camp but not finished....

Click image for larger version  Name:	62908839-45B1-45FF-80DC-92F19F8EEDAF-11427-000003906EBB4260.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	164.9 KB ID:	401491
              Rhode Island

Comment

It would be amazing to find a whole one or two Johnny. 😉 If you find enough broken pieces, will you try to piece them together?
                Bruce
                In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

• willjo
                  willjo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would but that would be unusual to find that many pieces, people have picked some of them up in past and others have been scattered to other places.

Now that’s a nice find Johnny very cool . What era do you think that’s from .

Comment

• willjo
                  willjo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was found in with Savannah river points so it could pre date clay pottery.

Very nice and good information .

Comment

Working...
                X