Opinions on my first purchased piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on my first purchased piece

This is the first artifact I have ever bought. I think it's 100% authentic and feel like I got a good deal. I was wondering what other people who have more knowledge about pottery might think. It seems like it would be very difficult to fake. The seller says it's anasazi and came from the Utah/Arizona border.

I'm not an expert, but this is the best website on the net that describes all types of prehistoric and historic SW pottery. Your piece, esp, visible in the last photo, looks like corrugated red ware, weathered to some degree. It might be an example of Salado Red:

http://rarepotteryinfo.siteprotect.n.../saladored.htm

Even though the home region of Salado Red is not the Utah/Az border, all SW wares were traded throughout the region.

Last edited by CMD; 12-13-2019, 09:30 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Nice size pot, easy to display or carry to shows if you like
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I’d rather think it’s closer to Mimbres pottery. Red on brown with black interior. It looks right but I’m not a authenticator !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

It is a nice piece. I cant say anything on authentication as far as age but it doesn't seem to be a modern made piece. It looks old for sure. Looking fwd to finding the answer on it. I really like it.
          The chase is better than the catch...
          I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

How wonderful it’s intact!
            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Calling Jethro

Comment

My find came out of the local creek in my home town in north carolina i have found quite of a collection however this is a woodland period bowl definitely fired this is the only complete bowl in the creek to be found only 97% intact still has some rim left i am very new to this site you have a nice piece most of the pottery i have found has lines and finger scratching in the inside as finger marks when they made these pots

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How cool to see finger marks on inside! And how wonderful this so intact, too. Almost miraculous!

• Kaleb
                  Kaleb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's pretty cool to find something in a creek like that.

One thing I do know is that sometimes the corrugation is weak, or referred to as "smudged". Some corrugated vessels are very distinctly corrugated, but a lot is the smudged corrugated variety. Here is a Salado Red jar that is a smudged corrugated. I think your pot is smudged.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CAE587C7-0A0C-49BE-9F24-A03F2FE432D4-1988-000000C02D964D99.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	409308

Rarepotteryinfo does not show many Mimbres examples that are corrugated, but here are a couple:

http://rarepotteryinfo.siteprotect.n...Corrugated.htm

Here is the full page of Mogollon brown and red wares, to which Mimbres pottery belongs:

http://rarepotteryinfo.siteprotect.n...Brownwares.htm

Here is a Salado Red jar from my own small SW pottery collection:

Click image for larger version  Name:	0E0ED612-7C36-4052-AF43-2A8453603E40-2029-000000C0F9E1B4D4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	135.7 KB ID:	409309

If you browse the rarepotteryinfo website, you'll come across many corrugated red and brown wares that are very similar and hard to tell apart. At least for me, I'm no expert, but love all the SW pottery types. Anasazi was one of the culture's in the SW, and today they are more correctly termed Ancestral Puebloan culture.

Rhode Island

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perhaps Reserve red too. I bookmarked that page.. Thanks !

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, rarepotteryinfo is a great site. They changed web addresses in recent years, and I thought the site was gone forever. Then I accidently refound it. Just a great resource, and for historic pottery, as well as prehistoric.

With the plainware, red or brown, I imagine it can be tough to delineate, without a real expert eye....
                  Last edited by CMD; 12-14-2019, 11:21 AM.

• clovisoid
                  clovisoid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is an awesome website. Book marked it.

Well thanks for all the input I wish I had more time to look into it but I will for sure on Monday

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Blue Heeler?

• Kaleb
                  Kaleb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes... I love that picture of her with the grainery in the background. I've never been able to get another one like it she's to hyper

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, she is. I do love dogs!

Fine piece. All I ever find are broken sherds--very common along Wilmington river
                North Carolina

Comment

• Kaleb
                  Kaleb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks that's all I ever find too that's why I finally decided to buy one
              Working...
              X