Thought I’ve seen everything on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I’ve seen everything on eBay

This is a classic. Probably not very many people have seen a Raccoons penis but this person on eBay is selling a “heat treated “ pendant. They must have found the remains of a coon in a shelter and are passing it off as an artifact . This one is funny 😄. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Fine-...ss!37321!US!-1

Haha! It even has provenance!
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ha That's a Hillbilly toothpick.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	raccoon.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	417843This bacculum was found with a bunch of beads...and the big end looks slightly modified.....like a groove.... I have a few dozen modern ones from roadkill and they are smoother in that spot though there is a shallower and shorter little triangular groove in that spot in older-age raccoons... The smaller end piece has a definite groove.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Regarding your modern-roadkill penis bones: did you collect them yourself, TomClark?🤦🏽‍♀️

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          Cecilia: Yep, roadkill and woods corpses LOL.

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          😳😲..........🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't feel like breakfast anymore...
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Well, I sure am not familiar with such things, but is not Sam Cox one of the good guys? I always thought he was one of the best known collectors/dealers in the country? Here's his webpage. If the piece was found at a level containing artifacts, maybe it was collected prehistorically? I have no idea, but I believe Sam Cox has a good reputation in the artifact community. In which case, maybe it's not a case of "passing off".....

Rhode Island

Comment

• SGT.Digger
            SGT.Digger commented
            Editing a comment
            He may be one of the good guys I’ve never heard of him. I don’t mean to disparage him or his reputation. I just thought it was funny that they were selling one and the color looks very peculiar or still green/fresh to mean. I’ve hunted in a couple dry shelters in the pecos River region and these things are absolutely “dry” and never seen a bone like that but doesn’t mean there aren’t any. I have one dryish site here in Tennessee that is producing bone pieces and found a partial jaw bone of a possum and other things but they are not in as good of condition as that. It could just be a location thing.

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I don't know him personally. I see he's associated with the Overstreet guides:

With the increasing number of collectors entering the hobby today, the levels of corruption and deceit that have always plagued the hobby, are now of epic...

Arrowheads.com - Largest Indian Artifact Website on the Internet. You can find Native American arrowheads for sale. Buy and sell Indian relics online.
            Last edited by CMD; 01-19-2020, 01:18 PM.

I can’t rule out anything the NA people might of found useful....!
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I knew a coon hunter who made turkey calls out of coon penis's no joke!

Comment

They remind me of my local famous moonshiner Popcorn Sutton he had one on his hat. The local moonshiners would use them when pouring to help keep splashing down when pouring into the jugs. Never knew they used them for ornaments I do have an anniversary coming up.?
              N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

In Appalachia you give a necklace or pendant of these with a red ribbon/string to the girl you are sweet on. Well, used to...
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
                  Lindenmeier-Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For what do you think the People used them?

Sugaree beat me to it. Around SC and NC it was or is, used by moonshiners.
                South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
                  Cecilia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought this thread was a prank! But knowing South Carolinians...... After all, the old country folks do eat chicken feet! (I can poke fun at the state of my birth!)

Unbelievable.....about these bones ...several were recovered from the tick isl. shell mds. on the St. John’s river in fl.....they are engraved ....this one was started but never finished...it is also from tick isl.....flabby. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	427733 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	427734
                Floridaboy.

Comment

• CMD
                  CMD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great example, and further evidence, along with Tom's example, that they were utilized prehistorically.

• tomclark
                  tomclark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OH MAN there ya go, Hal!
              Working...
              X