Cape Fear Indians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cape Fear Indians

Hit the River again this morning after middle school carpool and found a few items. Unfortunately, massive construction efforts in Wilmington, NC is rampant (much like Wake, Brunswick, Guilford), and opportunities to learn about a deceased culture will be soon covered in concrete, $500,000 homes, and non-indigenous plant species. These coastal native Americans (1700s)"Necoes" were most likely Siouan and assoc with Waccamaw tribe (hince Waccamaw Lake). Prior to what we know, they thrived here. I have collected, and documented artifacts from both sides of the river. These pics--(Yadin base, shell spoon/scraper/tool, multiple flakes, multiple types of pottery, rhyolite points, mammal teeth (prob deer). These points were discovered within close proximity following two site visits within a two week period, minus the quartzite triangle (found 2018).
    North Carolina

Nice artifacts good you are recording them
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Cool stuff. Those look big for deer teeth.

Comment

• Carolina Hunter
        Carolina Hunter commented
        Editing a comment
        They might be small horse. I'm not sure. Thanks

Nice haul Hunter. Keep on saving and preserving them artifacts man. Once they start developing it doesn't take them long. It has been happening around here for some time now and I hate it!
      keep on keepin after

Comment

Nice artifacts man ...I like that triangle...... and.some cool pottery sherds
        SW Connecticut

Comment

You are to be commended for documenting the sites in this manner. If the land being developed is put to public use then archaeological surveys usually must be conducted prior to the project. That is probably not the case for private land undergoing private development. Population growth and prosperity has spurred development in many areas of the country, particularly at coastal areas near towns and cities.

Comment

Working...
          X