Pottery artifact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery artifact?

Good morning. I found this piece of pottery in Butler county KS yesterday(south central)... I have no idea how to identify old pottery . I can see quite a bit of larger grains of sand in the worn surface. There appears to be no distinct marking or color to it. Was found on private property where artifacts have been found in the past on Rock Creek. This is by far the "most untouched" .property we hunt on. You really have to struggle to find trash or human sign. That's why I think this may be something pretty old.. I have no idea how to identify Native American pottery. Any ideas? The picture where the surface is smooth is the inside curvature of the piece. 3/4s of an inch thick. Thanks folks
    Last edited by Upatree; 01-26-2020, 10:04 AM.
    Kansas

Maybe a piece of a old broken pipe. Doesn't look like pottery to me.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Break a tiny piece off ....should crumble very easily if it's clay potttery
    SW Connecticut

Comment

It crumbles quite easy for sure..turns to dust except for the sand in it of course. We were miles and miles from any civilization or pipelines..not even an old farmhouse near the property. Interesting find for that area..thanks for your input
      Kansas

Comment

YW. I know that sand was used as a temper in some clay pottery. ...and also crushed shell and quartz...when I enlarge the first pic I think I am seeing some tiiny quartz....that was.a huge bowl....is the part near ur hand.rounded like the rim?
        SW Connecticut

Comment

That’s about as old as pottery gets in this country. That’s what we call “woodland” pottery, which probably isn’t exactly right, but it’s old. It’s before shell/calcium tempering, which dates back probably 7-800 years, but that has been debated forever....I’d be willing to say it’s no older than 2,000 years...but could fall anywhere in the time frame of then to about 5-700 years ago.

its sand/grit tempered, and in that climate it could last a really long time buried, and a pretty long time exposed.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I’d be looking for the rest right where you found that. Do some digging it’s there

Comment

Yup redrock I figure that was part of the rim from the way its shaped. It's really hard to see the shape of it with the pictures. Its exterior side is extremely worn but there was no doubt in my wife and I's mind it was a piece of pottery..I just didnt know how old. Our next trip out there I will do some digging and look for more of it. ..the inside surface has really small grooves in it like the inside was smoothed with some kind semi smooth tool...thanks for ever bodies input.
              Kansas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191217_120607_7~2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	419739 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191217_120618_7~2.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	419740 When I say rim ..this is called a "rim sherd'"....rounded off And finished right at the top of the pot
                SW Connecticut

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I love that piece, still.👍👍

• redrocks
                  redrocks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thx Jethro it's my favoriite rim

Quite a big sherd you found. It was a little hard to see it as pottery due to its material, but you can see it’s tempering. Nice find
                South Dakota

Comment

One reason the inside may be in better condition is that sometimes they would make the pot/bowl from one type of clay, often a type that was readily available but maybe not “top shelf” material, and then they would put an somewhat thinner inner coat of a finer, higher grade material, often colored, to provide a smooth surface inside.
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And another thing that could help account for it’s size...could be, might not be, and this is a little creepy, but they did use urns to house the remains of their ancestors. In Desoto’s chronicles, his scribes talk about one of the Quapaw villages making war on another and one of the things they did to really piss the other tribe off was to kick over their urns and smash them, scattering the bones about.

It could be part of a destroyed burial urn, they were quite large.😮
                Working...
                X