Native American Necklace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native American Necklace?

I buy a lot of stuff but generally avoid Native American Jewelry and personal items. I don’t really know why but kind of just don’t like where they may have come from? This piece is an exception because I don’t think it’s a funerary type item? The beads are brass or copper and you can see the green patina so it’s got some age on it. The pink shell in the middle is
    1 3/8” has what seems to be an animal part of some kind? I think it’s rabbit and seems to have bone in it. I’m not sure what the long off white beads are? Overall the necklace is heavy and about 40” long. The beaded part is 14”.

Here’s some pictures.

Any thoughts?

Von
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Von; 02-17-2020, 10:25 PM.

It could have been made by a historic Indian. I don’t think it’s very old in my in unprofessional opinion

Comment

Tuff call but cool piece anyway
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Only thing I can tell you about NA copper artifacts is that they look like this. Or have a black patina.Click image for larger version

Name:	24C7F175-E89A-4FC4-831E-540927982E47.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	424961
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Von
          Von commented
          Editing a comment
          After looking at it closer I believe the beads are brass or bronze. Thanks for the information.

Von

Von, I’m no judge of age but the necklace resembles some of the Powhatan pieces I’ve seen at Jamestown, so that would place it in historic era.
        Child of the tides

Comment

Thanks for all the comments and information. Is there any significance to the style it’s made in?

Von

Comment

Working...
          X