finger prints from the past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finger prints from the past

​ don’t even know how to describe this one,,here goes....found at tick island on the St. John’s river in Florida,the potter was in the process of fashioning a vessel and had the clay rolled out,,then decided to fold it up and start over,,something happened....it is dropped in the river....( imagination goes here ) ...enter,,,,,,fingerprint analysis,,,,the indentations are small ( young girl? ) the absolutely amazing thing about the one in the large photo is,,,it has actual stirations present...gonna try and get em with this I padcamera ....photo 1 multiple impressions and folds...2&3 no good,,4 got em.,,5 nail print. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	429859 Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	429856
    Attached Files
    Floridaboy.

Man, what a wonderful artifact! Incredible. Personal! thanks for showing
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

The flat spot where it's labeled looks like an area where the wet clay was sitting on something. Cool Artifact!
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

Now that’s different ! I like different !
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I heard when they spotted a paleo point / old point from great ancestors they would stuff in the middle of clay and throw into the river. Your going to have to break it to find out what’s inside. Joke but on a more mysterious side maybe they saw Cortez or some Spanish explorer freaked out and ran or stared into the face of death as a viscous jaguars stalked her and she freaked and ran . 😆 . Silliness aside nice piece

Comment

• Okieknaphead
            Okieknaphead commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought the same thing, something bad happened mid pot making! Lol

Really cool piece!! I want one! You get such a personal feeling seeing it, I couldn’t imagine holding it.

Comment

Thats insane....awesome find
            Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Mad cool Harold
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Very cool!
                North Carolina

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

Laetoli footprint like. Oh my, that is the most amazing thing I think one could find. What connection to the past. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Forensics, fossils, and Folsom’s...CSI Arrowheads.com anyone?

Very intriguing!

Flint
                      northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

My Goodness..... makes one’s brain time-travel....

This post and others like it are why I love this forum!
                        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                          Hal Gorges commented
                          Editing a comment
                          And travel, and travel, and travel.....

That’s fabulous. Where’s Lincoln Rhyme when you need him?

I meant to comment earlier about other enigmatic archaeological fingerprints. The oldest human print to date is, I think, still the one found on the Venus of Dolni Vestonice I, discovered in Moravia (now the Czech Republic) in 1925.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Venus.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	451460

Subsequent more detailed examination of this approximately 25,000 – 29,000 year old figurine has revealed the fingerprint of a child estimated between 7 and 15 years of age. The child is regarded as having handled the figurine before firing and while the clay was still wet, rather than being the maker of the piece.

Name:	Fingerprint.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	451461

Even that one is not the oldest hominid fingerprint. I believe that record is still held by a thumbprint on one of four pieces of birch-bark pitch glue used to secure a piece of retouched flint to a wooden shaft, which has been dated to approximately 80,000 years ago. It was found in the Konigsaue region of Germany at what is believed to have been a Neanderthal seasonal hunting camp on the shore of a lake. This is the outside with the thumbprint; the inside has a clear impression of the wooden shaft it was moulded around.

Name:	Neanderthal.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	451462
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                        X