How to make a Bone Pin/Projectile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a Bone Pin/Projectile

You take a long bone and score around the shaft at the end so it will come off. You score along the length of the bone and split it into two long "blanks" that are then abraded over to finish the item. I have never done this but I have found dozens of these ends that have been scored as well as many blanks that didn't come off right and were discarded. Haste made waste, you need to do a good job scoring. Maybe they had to score the length before around the shaft?? Click image for larger version

Name:	BonePin051207.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	433232 Click image for larger version

Name:	BonePinMaker4.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	433233 Click image for larger version

Name:	BonePinMaker2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	433234 Click image for larger version

Name:	BonePinMaker.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	433235
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

The craftsman mighta traveled up to Georgia to get coupla dozen quartz gravers People made here. According to Peach State Archeological, gravers (they're 3rd type pointy tools here, not to be confused w/ perforators and drills) were used for scoring bone, not engraving.

If People of Florida were hasty makers, they were my ancestors...
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• tomclark
      tomclark commented
      Editing a comment
      Good "point"! Those graver spurs on scrapers and discreet "gravers" are mostly used to score bone to take sections off cleanly. I guess if one were inclined.....could be artistic and engrave an effigy with it lolol. Then we get to the fact that many so-called drills are actually knives boom

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Boom, yes! According to Peach State Arch, again, drills used on wood, perforators on skins, gravers on bone. But, I’ve eaten w/ a knife, so I’m sure some hasty-maker used whatever grabbed outta tool kit!

Right on folks.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
    X