More Shells Who Had Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Shells Who Had Jobs

I don’t think I already posted this. I know outta excitement tried to post too many pictures last time, and some didn’t make it. Think this one not shown:

Red background photo from Shell Artifacts, by Frank and Nancy Hoff (2007)

Yellow marks courtesy TomClark. Unfortunately, I retrieved only part of his commentary, but remember that top left Busycon (called a Knobbed Whelk because its lip opens to the right; Lightening Whelks open to left!) is still in pretty good shape considering it was a hafted hammer. Little guy bottom left also hafted hammer(“hammerette” since so small?); bottom right is a “headless” busycon in that its axial (top set of spires) has been removed, tho can’t recall Tom’s specific comments (I do know these used as for utilitarian as well as decorative purposes, pendants, buttons, etc, and I have found many separated axials by themselves).

He checked off top left because liked it so much tho wasn’t sure what purpose this gorgeous halfa shell served! Subsequently I found picture of sliced Whelk shells found on an underground ledge near burials in Florida (above, red background)

Here is another shell pic marked up by Tom. This one my absolute favorites, and judging from Tom’s ❤️, he loved it, too!

See notch high up on the lip, right above the shoulder (aha, Shell artifacts have body parts just like projectile points!). Means was hafted and secured with some sort of thin lashing threaded thru holes drilled in axial spire (think the placement of the the drilled holes was what excited Tom!). Looks like little pig nose, huh? Gonna make a post “Shell Pareidolia” soon, coz boy do I have a menagerie !

I will take better pics of each one in their naked glory and post, so, now that you know they have Prof. Shellman’s sanctification, you can truly appreciate what incredible lives they led!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 03-29-2020, 09:38 PM.
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Hi Cecilia. Try to repost your pics.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Geez, Josie. I got bad posting mojo today coz my preview looks ok. Reposted just pics below; hope they show up!

O, no! How about:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	34C41906-9EA3-48CD-ABBA-614A59C6924D.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	435012 Click image for larger version

Name:	41CABF8A-A5CC-4B73-B97F-B3ACDD812B18.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	435013

Click image for larger version

Name:	36A550F4-8DBC-4BB1-B7E8-CEB2558171B9.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	435014 Click image for larger version

Name:	E8E18B2D-3B47-4706-980B-E0640A261376.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	435015

Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Nice shell show C...I'm shell shell shocked that shells could be used for hammers!.....interesting post
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        One archeologist who specializes in shells attempted to recreate a hafted Whelk hammer, and could not. Since he found the Shell too hard, literally, to modify using the People’s tools, he ended up using modern equipment!

Those are really neat. Next time I'm in Edisto I'm going to look for shell artifacts! Never thought about how hard a shell could be.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Please do go! Younger friend made “primitive” campsite reservations for my summer b’day, but golly, it’s been long, long time since slept on ground! Pmed favorite inlet w/midden to left, shell circles to right.

Forgive me dear, I just found this, I’m at the end of the frame thing and have more time to cruise around the forum, it’s a big ole spooky place, well...maybe not so spooky, nuff of that..I’m really impressed with the artifacts..
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Very nice, I would employ those shells.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Working...
        X