NA Trash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NA Trash

So last week coming in from a job I saw a tractor running on the Sehon farm. The tractor had not made it to the hill yet so I loaded up and quickly got to the hill. I found a decent arrowhead in the trash pit area and a rabbit leg bone. There are all kinds of bones mixed in but this one I could identify . ( The hole in the leg bone is natural ) Bones are a big deal to me as rodents chew them up quickly , for calcium .So, the NA people had a rabbit to eat. Click image for larger version

Name:	A22BB01E-3B96-4D96-9DB0-B1772E27D01F.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	435459 Click image for larger version

Name:	4BD000DB-C233-46AF-8FB0-4C18504134AD.jpeg
Views:	413
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	435460 Click image for larger version

Name:	9406489C-3311-47E7-BF82-78DDF440FEE1.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	435461
    Anyway the NA trash pit is loaded with pottery. All different types.The last pic is all the pottery I’ve picked up thus far at that site, this year. The arrowhead fell off the arm of my chair and is in the recliner somewhere , sorry . So now,
    one lost in truck and another in chair. Yeah I’m clumsy , comes with old age. JJ
    PS The points are not lost, I just can’t find them..
    Lubbock County Tx

Good saves on the pottery brother man......find the points! Lol
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ll look Red...If they were in the high G’s I’d really be probing for them... I had to take today off( Shoulder barking loud) I was looking for your last post, I thought I skimmed by where you had found a artifact. Redirect me plz...

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Good evening brother....rest your shoulder...people need water.....u might have missedy cool old axe head it in metal detecting....try that

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      K, thanx bro..

I like the pottery.. Way ta go.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Second look.. I see some that match, get out the glue.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Perhaps a few pieces might glue together , I doubt if a entire pot could ever be reconstructed... Sure would like to put one together !

Do you put your keys in the refrigerator, LinnyMann? I do. Recliner’s lil’ different..... found a hundred dollar bill once in mine....maybe should look for point!
    You Pottery Sherd King of Texas! Like the black piece best (how is it that color?), and the one next to it has markings just like one you sent me. Thank you, always look forward to Linny-Lesson posts!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Most of the time I’m looking for my reading glasses, I once lost the keys to my Chevy work pickup for 2 months. ( Cleaning lady found the keys, bless her !) Often I can’t find my pocket knife. That’s a great question on color. I can’t give you a answer as to how the NA people made their paints, other than ochre . The white with black stripes is Anasazi pottery. It was made somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona, then brought to this area. They say the Anasazi people just abandoned their homes or disappeared . I disagree as we find their pottery. Perhaps someone can help explain what all the NA people used to make the black paint. I’d like to know too !

I like looking at pottery finds. No pottery on my land. Or maybe there is but I don't recognize. Nice saves!
    South Carolina

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      There should be some Jo....

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      Think the points i find pre-date pottery for my area. But I keep looking

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      Well, do you find any true arrowheads/ bird points ? All the NA people here used and reused the same camp sites from paleo until the end.

Nice! We dug a trash pit on my farm about 20 years. The pit was about 18" in diameter and about 2' deep. Recovered almost 2,000 flint chips, 48 broken points, 12 broken stone tools and a few pieces of bone that fell apart.
    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Editing a comment
      The area all this is coming from is about 10’ x20’. The tractors keep plowing it out, so I’m not sure how large or exactly how deep the pit is, I’ll just keep picking up what comes out...Most of the bones are just splinters, so I was happy to discern the rabbit leg bone...

• paohrocks
      paohrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      There may be several trash pits the tractors have unearthed. Really like the rabbit leg bone!

Nice pottery and awesome finds for sure. I wish I had that luck with my excavations in Toronto, but so far, we have not found anything of value or at least not dull. On top of that, we spent a ton of money getting all the equipment and stuff on the side to have the excavation done. The only thing that didn't cost us a fortune was the disposal bins that we got from 186needabin.com for a great price. Despite all the cost and hustle, I still enjoyed doing my first excavation in Canada in Toronto.
    Last edited by PaleShade; 05-17-2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X