Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be a exotic pendent wildhorse?

Comment

Sure could be. Small size would make it hard to use for a tool. Also they are all the same that I have seen. If a pendent then how did they hang it. Fun to try to figure out and many many thanks for your help here.

Comment

I have a tally stone that looks similar to that one and a story to go with it.
        Tally Stone – 3”L x 1 15/16”W -This tally stone was dug up at Harney Co., OR. by a backhoe while digging a ditch with about 20 other items in 1968 or 1969. Denny Presley said, “I have a neat story (and true) about this Count Stone. About 10 years back I took an assortment of ancient items to a gathering of “Indian Mediums” who had gathered here because the moon and stars were in some kind of special alignment. Any way, they were all setting around in a circle with smoke and what ever, focusing all their energy, and going over all the items I bought. I had a lot of bone things, and effigies and what not. They went over the things one at a time passing and meditation was done. The strange thing was they all said they felt something from this count stone you got tonight of all the things I had.” I love that story and this is one neat artifact, and you can meditate over it if you like
        Jack

Comment

Thanks Graywolf. I like your idea better than a louse comb. It does look a lot like your tally stone. Interesting artifact what ever it is. Thanks for the better idea. Yours is a little bigger but the cheek bone comes in this size so they had to use it as it is.

Comment

It was a lot easier to carry your light weight tally bone or louse comb than to carry my tally stone which would not make a goodd louse comb unless you did not mind being hit it the head with a hard object. LOL.

Comment

It was a lot easier to carry your light weight tally bone or louse comb than to carry my tally stone which would not make a good louse comb unless you did not mind being hit it the head with a hard object. LOL.

Comment

Wildhorse, I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment so didn't have time to read everyone's comments but is it some kind of calendar? Maybe in my rush I counted wrong but doesn't it have 12 tabs? Could that be marking the 12 months of the year? Just a thought.
                  jane

Comment

Great idea Jane; I had not even paid attention to that it has twelve notches. I do not know if our Native Americans used a twelve month year. Kind of think they went more by the moon to keep track of time. Someone will know here I am sure. But that is a very good idea for this thing. Thanks for the sharp eye there.

Comment

A Winnebago (Hotcâk) Legend
                    In the time of beginnings, the good spirits and the evil spirits met in council to determine how the world should be divided between them. First they took up the question of how many moons there should be from one winter to the next. Wild Turkey (Zizikega) strutted before them and spread his tail feathers, declaring, "Let a year be as many moons a there are spots on my tail." But the council of spirits voted this down, as there were far too many spots on his tail. Partridge also suggested that there should be as many moons in a year as there were spots on his tail, but the spirits felt that it was also too long a time. Then Chipmunk (Hetcgenîka) scampered up throwing its tail over its head as chipmunks always do, and said, "Let a year be as many moons are there are black and white stripes down my back." The counselors thought well of this suggestion, and allowed that the six black stripes would be the summer moons, and the six white stripes would be the moons of winter.
                    The evil spirits are greedy, however. They always wish for darkness, so when they saw the bright white disc of the moon and how it lit up the world, they began to eat the Night Luminary away until nothing was left of it. But Earthmaker was not content to see his creation consumed, leaving a dark world as a cover for evil, so he recreated the moon a little each night until at the end of fourteen nights it was full again. Then Earthmaker rested. While the Creator took leave, the evil spirits again gnawed away at the moon until it was completely consumed. And so it continues, with Earthmaker ever renewing the moon and his enemies forever eating it away.
                    Scientific Fact, Its a lot more boring:
                    Full moon is a lunar phase that occurs when the Moon is on the opposite side of the Earth from the Sun. More precisely, a full moon occurs when the geocentric apparent (ecliptic) longitudes of the Sun and Moon differ by 180 degrees; the Moon is then in opposition with the Sun.[1] As seen from Earth, the hemisphere of the Moon that is facing the earth (the near side) is almost fully illuminated by the Sun and appears round. Only during a full moon is the opposite hemisphere of the Moon, which is not visible from Earth (the far side), completely unilluminated.
                    The time interval between similar lunar phases—the synodic month—is on average about 29.53 days. Therefore, in those lunar calendars in which each month begins on the new moon, the full moon falls on either the 14th or 15th of the lunar month. Because lunar months have a whole number of days, lunar months may be either 29 or 30 days long.

Comment

First of all, Many Many thanks for the great story. Love those. I searched full moons in one year and came up with 12 sometimes 13 but that is rare. We may be getting close to figuring this out guys. I am liking the way it is going. Much better than a louse comb. Yuck I don't like that idea. I used to have a book of Native American stories. Sadely it went off with all my books. Oh well I did get to read it anyway.

Comment

Hey Jack luvs the way you thinks..Jane way to go girl,see we need ya here...Wildhorse?..This piece coming from the Columbia river?..With these primitive people being much like the Mayans themselves..Shoot that piece gots to represent one year..

Comment

I am really going that way. It makes sense because the others I have seen are just like it. I never counted the spaces on them but willing to bet they would count up to 12. You guys and gals are great and we are getting a much better understanding of what we have found.

Comment

Working...
                          X