Weeden Island culture no. 8.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeden Island culture no. 8.

This is a continuation of pottery from site 8 P16, in Pinellas co. Florida...Pic 1 is a W.I. Punctuated vessel with an inverted bird motif...Pic.2 is the head area showing classic W.I.circle and triangle, this bowl is extremely thin and tempered very hard, almost like chinaware...Pic.3 is another classic punctate example, notice another classic trait by my thumb, the short line ending with two triangles, these punctations are carefully and deliberately thought out, everything has a meaning, this is not village ware...Notice the punch and drag method,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BFF0581F-242A-4CA3-AEC7-BD5551EF39BD.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	458756 Click image for larger version

Name:	EAEE908E-52CE-4DDB-A219-D358640AF817.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	458757 Click image for larger version

Name:	AE911B27-C1F8-438D-9AAD-8B33DEDE6F09.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	458758
    Floridaboy.

Hard for me to imagine , if deliberately kilt. Lots of time/effort. Times had to be good, health wise to make such art.
    Any chance a burial good Hal ?
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Due to corrosives in the soil, pottery was pretty much all we encountered, the shell tools crumbled in my hands , Archeologists say these vessels were made at a central location up North and traded to all the satellite villages....The area was pretty much the whole southeast, so there was a small group of artisans, doing all the vessels...The W.I.site on W.I on the bay in Pinellas co. was where it was first typed, but that was pretty much the southern trading boundary...The people on this site living on the gulf did more trading, therefore this site produced more pottery.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok.

That is some nice punctate work ....good pics Hal!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Man that has some sweet designs on it. You have a fantastic collection Hal.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Hoss, there’s times I wanted to quit posting, but I’m gonna finish what I started

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        I concur, got to finish what you started

Detail like that is beautiful, and quite rare on pottery here in south NJ
      New Jersey

Comment

Amazing stuff! So many of the designs remind me of the Caribbean material, but theirs were most often painted. The workmanship seems to be a lot more typical of mainland material. Looks like they had a little influence from both areas.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
        X