Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A pottery vessel from Clearwater, Pinellas Country Florida.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A pottery vessel from Clearwater, Pinellas Country Florida.

This is a Weeden Island vessel with a nice rolled rim, the design is unique ....It boggles my mind how thin it is, it averages 1/4”,that’s remarkable,I highly doubt that any potter today can make one even with a wheel...This piece is unbelievably large, if I clasp my hands and hold my arms out in a circle, well, that’s the size of it, the ruler is misleading....It was buried upside down and crushed...Pic.1, I glued it, then applied a solution of duco and acetone to stabilize it....Pic.2-3, I patched it... Pic.4 I decided not to plug every hole, I wanted it to retain an ancient look, p.s, putting this together was the biggest challenge I ever tackled, but because all the pieces were there it only took a couple of months, off and on...Thanks for looking.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	60C2B3AD-AF2E-4246-BBB6-A027C4AE8E93.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	459489 Click image for larger version

Name:	F3678440-E99F-4616-8483-C2B8EAD59438.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	459490 Click image for larger version

Name:	BFA9F073-CF51-4257-BC4C-82EF82B66B73.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	459491 Click image for larger version

Name:	22B9EE1A-DBF4-4872-8A92-FDA097EFCB03.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	459492
    Floridaboy.

I like the idea of leaving some damage to give it the ancient look..Wonderful piece Hal and thanks for sharing!
    North Central Kentucky

Comment

Remarkable job on that Hal!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice looking bowl and great job! I want to ask you about the duco and actone.
        I have glued together some bowls and used elmers glue, recommended because it can be unglued easily if ever needed.
        What is buco and what is the acetone for?
        New Jersey

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Typed a long private messege, wouldn’t go through......Duco is a cement that softens easily when acetone is applied, they work excellent with each other, Elmers turns yellow over time, Duco stays clear...Elmers will soften in Florida’s humidity and I have seen some pots fall apart...that’s the short version.

Really nice find! It's a labor of love to get those big pieces put together.

In the Caribbean those big pots had a very particular purpose. Not sure how they were used in your area.
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Didn’t know that, do you know the purpose
      Working...
      X