Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Makah Whalebone War Club

Greetings All

I recently found this Makah Whalebone War club and I have found several almost identical clubs in the Smithsonian collection and other museum collections.

This one has an partial old label on it and a whaling scene carved on one side with 8 men in a canoe hunting a whale with sealskin floats trailing it. There is also an Eagle? carved on the pommel. There is Red dye or paint on the opposite side and there are some subtle remnants of dark/black pigment on the canoe and on the whale.

This club shows nice age and has some curve to it following the whale bone. I understand it is carved from a whale jawbone.

Can anybody tell me any specific information about it? Perhaps a more specific location or a rough age.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards
    Rob

Hi Rob,

That is pretty darned cool. I've seen some similar ones from other Pacific Coastal groups. Some were souvenirs made for tourists, and some of them are relatively significant cultural relics.

Most of those are from one of the larger baleen whales, usually right whales harvested, or beached whales, which are all endangered species. If it's over 100 years old (not sure if that's 100 from now, or when the endangered species act became law) you can get a letter that authorized import/export/selling/transfer of it. (Some of the tribes file claims against people when they don't have the proper paperwork if they were to sell it or move it across state lines.) Even if you just plan on keeping it, it might be worth getting the letter. (They used to be free, and needed pictures only.)

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/natio...-species-parts

Joshua
    Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Working...
    X