Today’s find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today’s find.

Well, I haven’t been over to the shell mound in a couple of months, we had some rain last week so I thought I’d check on my gophers....Dad, no.1 came up empty, he needs to move.... junior, no.2 still can’t dig a round hole, o well.....Mom, no.3 did ok. she’s in a prime shell area., didn’t bring my camera these re pics.from a previous post, ( no faith ) anyway, this sherd of Safety Harbor black ware is what she chucked up, ( bless her little heart) and like many other small artifacts, tells a story....It’s shell tempered, and was made by coiling as is evidenced by the end view, pic.4... You can see where the clay was coiled, flattened and smeared upwards towards the top of the pot ( well maybe you can’t ) but if ya mess around with pottery enough you will......Pic.5 is the outside and was finished with what looks like uneven stirations made by a brushing motion with some sort of grass, palmetto leaves, etc.who knows?...Well , now you know how to make something out of nothin. LOL. p.s.can ya tell I’m goin stir crazy?, This is pitiful.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5C910DC1-1453-48F9-ABD4-BD431D43AAC4.jpeg
Views:	206
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	461967 Click image for larger version

Name:	F23DBFBC-D729-47D0-9242-2591D97F79AA.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	461968 Click image for larger version

Name:	B3041EB5-AE9C-48F5-9162-4616B322EEDC.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	461969 Click image for larger version

Name:	582C6CDF-BA32-43D1-AD46-AA0FE96FAE1D.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	461970 Click image for larger version

Name:	5D5D30BA-975D-41EA-8293-BBC087C50C6F.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	461971
    Floridaboy.

Glad you are getting out Hal. Any find is a good find. Some of my lesser artifacts have led me to research something and a whole new direction of learning gets opened up.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Good u got some fresh air....it's an artifact.... Cool ....only you could write a book of information on a thumbnail sized sherd of pottery. Good on you Hal...... How hot is it down there?
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, about 90 midday, but cuzz were surrounded on three sites by water and low humidity today the feels like temp. at the park was about 79 and comfortable ...so humidity is the thing that makes or breaks.i saw temps up around Utah were about 90 yesterday..

She knew you were coming and like cats that bring dead birds they kill as a gift for their owners the gopher decided to change it up for you a little. That one you need to visit more often 🙃
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the others back up in the hole when I come, she doesn’t...It’s against the law to feed em , but they like the lettuce I feed em.lol.
    Working...
    X