Is it a bead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bead?

I had an hour to walk a pottery area I know and found 9 sherds and a small cylindrical piece that looks like clay too. I have found over a thousand pottery sherds but never this shape. Beads are rare in South Jersey as surface finds. One friend found one similar about 5 years ago but has since died and his collection sold so I don't have it to compare. If you are familiar with Eastern US beads please take look and see. Not sure if I should disturb the center or not. Too thin to be a pipe fragment I think. 1/4 inch diamer approximately.
    Attached Files
    New Jersey

Maybe a preform but just a guess.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

I have no clue, looks interesting though. I definitely would've brought that home.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

It has a machine made look to the end of it glass beads were not machine made, it’s a fossil looking thing, I just don’t know, but somebody will...
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I think it’s a clay bead. I’ve seen some, but never found any. They were probably 30% tube shaped, another 50% were round like a ball, and the rest were flats.
          Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep this little thing take it to the Museum in Greenwich NJ when I get a chance.
            New Jersey

Comment

Let us know what they say
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

My first thought was a bead not fired hot enough to burn out what ever organic was used to burn the hole through it. But if it were organic, i wouldn't think it would have survived too long wo rotting out.

Comment

Working...
                X