14" bowl, 75 pieces est

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" bowl, 75 pieces est

So good on Hal for asking me about my avatar and motivating me to post this. This bowl took me about 40 hours to put together. I found it in a collapsed cliff on the side of the river. I still go back and find a shard now and then, some of which are from fifferent bowls for sure. An occasional artifact is found there like the gray broken Fox Creek in one pic (and an intact Poplar Island not pictured). In another pic I am holdin gr a shard I recently found that fits in a hole. That will be tricky to get in there. The tempering is prrobably sand because there are not voids (shell or organics would have disintegrated) and no pebbles protrude, not a single one. I have a mug of parts I've spent countless hours playing and most definately fit this bowl but dont match any edges. There are parts missing. The small pine rod is helpinggv to hold two sides up. The rim photo is over 12 inches. The bowl is 14" high and the diameter is almost the same. I had to move 4 years ago and I didn't like transporting it but it made it. Some parts I mixed glue and sand to fill a weak spot but in general it is a simple, clean, unaltered restoration. I do not intend to fill in any spots with artificial restorings. I estimate it is middle woodland or earlier because the designs lack a clear collar and pattens are not carefully incised or zoned. There are two patterns that over lap. Of over 100 designs I've seen in this area, and hundreds of examples at two local museums I've only seen this pattern once, and in fact the section of bowl at the museum might be part of this bowl (or I'm dreaming). This bowl was repaired with drilled holes and ties at some point in ancient history and probably had at least 6 holes, one of which is still in tact. I send photos when I got it together to an acquaintance archeologist who in turn forwarded them to another who specialized in pottery but I never heard back about if either wanted to take a close up look. I obtained a couple other project to assemble over the years, not personal finds but finds of others who gave up trying to assemble. It's an amazing feeling and a privilege to work on this stuff. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    New Jersey

Back to safety, whew she is a little heavy with the plexiglass and plywood.
    Attached Files
    New Jersey

Comment

Birds of a feather, kayak man, yupp.that’s what I do is find things, even in pics..lol.... I’ll comment later, got to go shopping later, thanks bunches, yeah, pottery is heavier than it looks when it’s put together..nice presentation...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Just a quick comment for now, you did everything right, I agree, I wouldn’t completely fill it in, however if there any weak spots there’s a couple of ways to strengthen it, yeah, I use all kinds of sticks, toothpicks, etc. if the area is crumbly you can strengthen it with duco and acetone, it will soak in and harden, or take a piece of original pot that’s never gonna fit anything and carve it so you have a couple of edges to glue together, restoration is a highly complicated hobby.cant cover it in one small post.. again, nice job. p.s.I’ve probably done 50 of em and learn something new each time cuzz no two puzzles are the same.lol.

That is fantastic! Appreciate your patience.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

A view from above. Hole in the bottom may or may not be indication of killing it, if there is any truth to that idea I don't know.
        Attached Files
        New Jersey

Comment

Also worth noting is the much thicker ring where plates of clay were mended together. The ring circumnavigates the bowl. Look at the photo above, left side about 5 inches down, a protrusion is clearly visible. I think this bowl has two areas like that. Although we are taught that NA pottery was made with coils I believe some athorities in the field have recognized the "sheet" construction possibilities. Also a theory which I do not believe is that the less thicker areas below that ring are from stirring food and wear, but if that were the case the imprints on the inside would have been worn smooth so I don't agree with that theory at this time.
          New Jersey

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            I love the way you think, you’re right on with everything, about the kill hole, your vessel, does not have one, ....There are two kinds, the first is punched out with force often taking out the whole bottom, but they are normally about 3”dia....The second is a pre made one, made and fired from the beginning,, there’s controversy as to the meaning, common belief is to let the spirit of the vessel out, or something like that,indians today could probably tell us I just never was interested enough to run it down..

Thats awesome KA nice reconstruct...
          SW Connecticut

Comment

A labor of love and wonder, way cool!
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

This pot was shown in the pottery series but I never showed the premade. hole
              Click image for larger version

Name:	13A6691E-E61C-4AB8-B6FE-5438480D5344.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	464012 Click image for larger version

Name:	D7A31D49-5530-4B2A-A21F-3FF23C2584B6.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	464013 Click image for larger version

Name:	BFF67319-6755-4D5D-AF87-8EA1F4113332.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	464014
              Floridaboy.

Comment

Hal, thanks for your compliments on my large bowl project. And thanks everyone else too.
                New Jersey

Comment

All I can do is hope . That’s just crazy and very very happy you saved that .
                  biggest piece I found was from an animal dig now I am motivated to continue his job if the opportunity arises .

Comment

Working...
                  X