Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pottery from the old Wahoo Swamp, Florida..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery from the old Wahoo Swamp, Florida..

These two vessels were recovered from a historical period site, in the Wahoo Swamp, Bushnell, Sumpter Co. Florida....they are 15” wide and have very minimal restoration as nearly all the sherds were found, the charcoal on no.1 attests to the fact that it was used for cooking....They are a variation of pottery found at the Safety Harbor site, Pinellas co.....Pottery from This period was not ceremonially killed, this earlier practice by the Weeden Island people seemed to have been abandoned, .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	8CB6F334-2476-42DE-84AE-4E137A313C58.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	464821 Click image for larger version

Name:	C0705DF7-BF10-419B-812A-5E933716C29F.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	464822
    Floridaboy.

That’s a biggun!

Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Cool ..kinda plain surface compared to weeden island vessels youve showed...i like it
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah... I think a lot of the rough surface treatments including stamping had the practical purpose of being able to grip the pot better...Of course stamping was also an expression of art, the desire to create something beautiful...

I’ve never understood effort to make a intentional kill Hal. Will always boggle what’s left of my mind....
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Me either...A pottery collector from out west showed me how on the the older Pueblo pottery, when running a paint line around the pot,they would never connect it, his theory was to let the spirit of the pot out, everything had a spirit thing. trees, water, etc.never thought about it no more, but the no connect line thing is true, check it out next time you examine o Pueblo painted pot...evidently it was mighty important to em for who knows why...

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        If only today we had a fraction of their spirituality, and believe of a afterlife, I think we’d all be in 110% better shape worldly. I’m still learning.
    Working...
    X