A ceramic piece from Florida.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A ceramic piece from Florida.

I don’t even know where to start with this one....Firstly, lemme say, you’re never gonna see another one like it...Second, I wish I’d have taken more pics.before it went into storage, but I didn’t, cuzz I never liked this piece, don’t know why, ( I actually had a friend glue it back together ) but never could bring myself to chuck it in the trash .....Moving on."..It was found at Astor Park, on the St. John’s River, Lake Co.Florida and it’s exactly what it looks like, a headless bird, don’t know what kind, the head was not found, I’m guessing a Buzzard cuzz they got that long neck with no feathers......This is a Weeden Island piece, and it’s 14” long.....This is not a vessel, it’s a solid piece of clay molded around a pole, and as such broke apart in lumps, it never came through the firing in great shape....1/2 of it was there, and there are also traces of red paint....It’s in terrible shape, but it’s the only one I got.....I think it was displayed on a pole .... that’s all I got folks...Thanks for lookin...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	74A3BBE3-6E20-46A3-9B6C-48576312A0CB.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	465453
    Floridaboy.

Unusual to say least.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Yupp.

Wild!!.Nice too
    SW Connecticut

Comment

interesting piece
      Wyoming

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know if a he or she made the thing, but they sure had big nonconformist ideas..

• beatup1354
        beatup1354 commented
        Editing a comment
        there is always one in the tribe

Hey Hal, I like it. The Eagle was considered powerful medicine.
      Michigan Yooper
      If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, for the historical period guys, not for these prehistoric jokers, they liked buzzards, woodpeckers, owls, wading birds, turtles, frogs, fish, etc, no Eagles represented on pre white man pottery in fla....No sir...Go,figure....

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hal that's interesting for sure. We see lots of Eagles here both Bald and Golden.

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        We had several nesting pair in the harbor, this past winter, but they’ve gone north for the summer

nice, glad you didn't take it out with the trash.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mike,

Gosh.

My theory another piece fit unto body. Maybe different pieces made too. My dad bought me back figurine from Thailand could change heads on it. Child’s toy?
      Harold Gorges, may I come down to Florida, and go thru your storage units? Lol
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Could be, could be, C, you’re Theories are always welcome kiddo, ...Good to see your face ...p.s.your allowed in to get in small trouble ( it’s good for the heart ) but stay away from big trouble cuzz..............

Curious possibility Hal...could it have been decoy of sorts?
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I’ve seen them from more arid climates also, like you said, but I don’t think those would survive here very long. Just thought the stick through the middle would make it pose-able. As a duck hunter, I’ve used wading birds and non-game bird species as “confidence” decoys.

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Just remembered, the hole is about 2” and it weighs about 5 pounds..I believe it’s a buzzard clan totem, buzzard was big in the Weeden Island culture, not sure how it was displayed ..Or not cuss it was found in the mound and was painted red... It’s a mystery Jethro..

• Jethro355
        Jethro355 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that...it lets our imaginations run wild.

Could have been anything!
    Working...
    X