Pottery from Central Florida..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery from Central Florida..

these are in storage so I can’t get better pics, but they are both St. John’s check stamped, and complete except for a rim chip....they were found at Lake Apopka, Orange Co.Florida..they’re 12” wide,
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0E2E0804-5C72-4715-B4F8-E92746A61F2C.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	465829 Click image for larger version

Name:	E4FD3B9A-4D50-475D-B17A-FDD0CCB4A724.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	465830
    Floridaboy.

Always nice to see your pottery Hal
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks willjo, hopefully a few folks will be a little more interested because of it...

Hal do you believe the grey color is from fire or the clay ..
    If you ever look at my pottery posts it’s always that Swiftcreek paddle stamp : and red ish
    But I have found some very dark grey with a blue hue to it ( just sherds) but I believe it’s the clay no stamps . I went down to a creek and did find that color of clay to verify .;

Comment

Hi Tam, yeah, I think it’s more the clay color than the what it was buried in, the stuff that was found on the river in a shell mound context is the same color as these two so I’m leaning towards the color of the clay thing , the black I think are fire clouds and some charcoal from cooking , I never experimented with making and firing, but I have seen some that the university did that were grey white....I always look at all the pottery posts, I try not to comment on all, , I like to hear what other folks say, I’m still learning, when you post some for instance, I learn a heck of a lot about pottery that’s not from my area...it’s kinda like a big jigsaw puzzle, I’m always collecting pieces of and sometimes I get lucky and a couple fit.lol. good to see your interested, it’s rewarding... Hope some of this makes sense, havin some trouble putting thoughts together tonight
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
      X