Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super Rare Indian Stone Effigy ! (Mohawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Rare Indian Stone Effigy ! (Mohawk)

Click image for larger version

Name:	431382E1-308C-493F-8061-4DDCD476C97A.jpeg
Views:	1159
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	479759 Click image for larger version

Name:	E8265EA3-8717-4F8F-AB2A-8C1DED9B71A4.jpeg
Views:	921
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	479760 Click image for larger version

Name:	A53BD080-D2EA-424C-9AE9-E93D4AD9F35D.jpeg
Views:	775
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	479761
    This is a super rare Seated Human Effigy Idol made from a basalt hard stone that was found in Kern Co, California and measures 3.5 inches tall and is 1.75 inches wide across the arms of the piece. This effigy had a very defined face and a stylized raised hair piece/ ponytail/ mohawk going down the back of the piece. The features on this piece look like its sitting with his feet tucked under the body.
    SE ARKANSAS

Nice piece, also some more neat artifacts in case.
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Cool !
      SW Connecticut

Comment

Yeah. I’m gonna say natural rock.

naturally awesome, that is. Stone effigies are truly a rarity, and that’s an awesome piece.👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I think this one of the first actual effigies I've seen on here in a long time. Great piece!
          "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Very cool
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Very nice... don’t see them often.....👍
              Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Did you find that ? I use to camp in Kern and there are so many little creeks and rivers that would have been perfect for hunting .

Comment

• Artifascination
                  Artifascination commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I purchased this piece from Mitch Lewis. It was part of the late Byron Anderson collection.

Very cool piece art....thanks for sharing
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

It is a nice piece that you acquired. Have you had it very long or is it a recent purchase? Do you know what people or time period it may have been made? No Mohawks in California but it is interesting that the people there may have had a similar hairstyle to people a continent away and maybe (or maybe not) at a different time. Oh, and BTW, basalt is a lithic so you misplaced the thread but no biggie as we got to see it anyway.
                  Last edited by sailorjoe; 08-22-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

I have not had this piece evaluated for the exact time period yet. It was a recent acquisition from Mitch Lewis. The raised hair on the piece looks like a mohawk type hairstyle to me and was not trying to imply a specific culture or group. My bad for the confusion and putting it in the wrong category. This is the first old stone effigy that I have seen and wanted to share it with y’all. I was hoping some folks here might see it and be able to tell me more about it. I am planning on sending it to an archaeologist friend that studied and lived in that area of California for a while. I will update when I find out more. Thanks for lookin!
                  SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• sailorjoe
                    sailorjoe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would be interested in knowing about what you learn. Then I can learn too. I know nothing about stone effigies from California.

• Cecilia
                    Cecilia commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You got really excited posting this, huh Art?! I got excited with first gander. You absolutely have the coolest stuff. (I actually remember what you have!!)

To the point of the “Mohawk”...it’s likely a representation of a braid. I’ve seen effigies in clay that had braids that were evident, and they were much more common and widespread than the haircut, I think.
                  Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Artifascination
                    Editing a comment
                    Very possible Jethro... I am sending it off tomorrow and can’t wait to find out more about it.

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll be glad to see what you find out. That’s just a killer piece.👍

(With the exception of the owl), these little clay folks sorta remind me your new guy, as does stone pipe. Not Californians, tho; these all from Tennessee mounds. Hope you can see their great hairdos!

Click image for larger version  Name:	B50E46CB-D905-488E-B493-E3B8DA7E834D.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	482307 Click image for larger version  Name:	499675AF-FE6D-4C9D-A8D9-4CF861D508BA.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	40.8 KB ID:	482308
                  Last edited by Cecilia; 08-29-2020, 06:59 AM.
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Artifascination
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Cecilia! It has good provenance and the material is also unique to a specific postpile basalt column group. I have not found out anything more as of yet but will keep y’all updated.

I remember reading this but don’t know why I didn’t comment, it’s such a great piece, I was researching Mississippian effigys and I musta went to sleep or something.. Anyway, I think it’s a great museum piece, thanks for sharing.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
                  X