Small bowl fragment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small bowl fragment

About 7 or 8 years ago I obtained a box of pottery sherds that "some might fit together" and lo and behold with some patients and persistence I managed together this small, partial bowl. Originally from New York, I suspect late woodland. It's thick, and the rim is in rough shape. I "helped" a few joints by mixing pottery crumbs and glue as filler. I think it would have held a pint.
    There were many pieces that did not match this vessel in the box, probably another 30 sherds of various looks. I'm very lucky to be the keeper of this artifact and keep it under plexiglass.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kayakaddict; 09-11-2020, 11:26 PM.
    New Jersey

Very nice piece, good way to make filler materiel...that plexiglass will keep it nice, pottery seems to collect dust...You gotta admit , the project gave your brain a workout, lol....it goes good with the other vessel, thanks for sharing.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

That is really neat. Ive been thinking about some. I thought about half a styrofoam ball to help me get started. What kind of glue did you use?
      N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        I was gonna use balloon, and glue miscellaneous, mismatched pieces, then pop balloon. But, like lotsa my projects, it was just thought passing thru brain. I think some of them use Elmer’s, because it’s easily removed if mess up. Know Hal uses duco and acetone b/c Elmer’s turns yellow.
        Last edited by Cecilia; 09-12-2020, 09:20 AM.

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        And elmers tends to break down in high humidity areas.especially on thinner pottery,( rule no. 14, nobody’s too busy to glue up pottery ) get busy Cici....

That is pretty cool. Would love to be able to find enough pieces to even get close to that. Great displays too.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I have a bucket full of sandwich baggies and clay. Ive tried to keep everything sorted as I picked them up.
        the size and texture look is basically what I find here.
        its like a 1000 piece puzzle that you have to put individual pieces together before putting puzzle together.
        the puzzle within the puzzle? A riddleR..?
        N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Thanks I use elmer's and sometimes sand/glue mix or crumbs/glue mix for gaps. Some people make extra pieces to really fill spots I don't do that but I've seen that many times and can make an impressive result. Dust! Keep it off it's true.
          New Jersey

Comment

This is sweet ! TY for the show !
            Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Working...
            X