A Deep South Ceramic Piece.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Deep South Ceramic Piece.

The potter ( his/her) lived some fifteen hundred years ago and could never imagine what his world would look fifteen hundred years into the future, nor did he care...West central Florida was a very pleasant place, food was to be had with very little effort, leaving time to create fabulous works of art..( Cushings finds at the court of the pile dwellers, Key Marco ) much like today, sea levels were lower, A fairly quiet world it was, none of our so called civilized ways...Pictures tell more than I can paint with words....This clay sculpture from the Weeden Island period came to light in Cedar Keys in 1972...When I found it i brushed the dirt of ages off and stared at him, he stared at me, and for a brief moment time did not exist...Now take a breath,and travel
    back to his world.....P.S. The inscribed lines cleverly put within the eye itself represent the Forked eye, a Southern Death Cult motif,.. As always, my privilege to share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A49591D0-E7DB-48BD-84CC-3414AF7F233A.png
Views:	313
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	498230 Click image for larger version

Name:	390290E0-769F-483B-9BA5-F5067B4EACF5.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	498231
    Floridaboy.

Wow that’s an amazing piece Hal! Thanks for sharing!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

How did you find something like that it's a really nice piece. I wish when I lived in Florida for so many years I had known there was artifacts just waiting for me to pick up. We used to dig for bottles but never artifacts just didn't know they were there
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        West Central Florida is paved with artifacts, only trouble is most areas are now closed to hunting, what a shame, cuzz with all the new interest in collecting, there would’ve been finds we only dream about, but even as we speak, I hear sounds of digging and excitement and laughter...good for them,

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        You can still dig on private property with permission

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        And that’s what I would do now if I was looking... Keep after em, you find great things.

Excellent find, amazing piece
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

If you get lucky enough to salvage some pottery that would be at the top of the list!
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely the most expressive impressive part of the pot.

That's sweet Hal !
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Nice piece of art Hal
          South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Great piece Hal, I too would have sat and stared at him for a while!
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you’ve been there at one time or another, you get it, thanks.

That is just awesome.
            Ive been trying to find more reading material about “Weeden”.
            I now know were tampabay is.
            I wonder how they ever survived all the “unannounced” hurricanes?
            You can crawl in a hole and ride out a tornado. Is there a “natural place” to “shelter” that storm?
            Last edited by Fat; 10-21-2020, 11:04 AM.
            N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Just palm trees and sand

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha, I can tell you what most non Floridians don’t know... Many days before a blow, animals, birds, fish, insects, my wife, all start telling us it’s coming, seagulls head inland, critters disappear, can’t catch fish ( well maybe a few, the smart ones go up the rivers ) etc.its an observation of nature that we as a culture basically forgot. coastal Villages had high ground at the ceremonial center, in cases of wipe outs they rebuilt, were still doing it today..

• sailorjoe
              sailorjoe commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Fat. Just a comment about the hurricane concern in the Tampa Bay area. West Central Florida sometimes, but rarely gets hit directly by hurricanes. Not so the Keys, or the Panhandle or where I live between Mobile and Pensacola. It all has to do with how they track once they get into the Gulf of Mexico.

Oh yes. I totally understand and can relate a few”
            Right now sandhill cranes are a mile high and flying south. Weather is on the way.
            Still the total distruction seems like no matter “how high“ theground, your in trouble.
            I can understand a “brawl” amongst the “peoples” for that sandy hill.
            N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              We’re starting to get a few crows and bluebills flying down the Eastern flyway heading south..

That is Museum quality Hal. Thanks again for posting a super ceramic piece. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
              Hal Gorges commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, thanks,That’s my mission, is to make this stuff available so folks can appreciate it, I know you’re the same way...
          Working...
          X