Pot Authentication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pot Authentication

I bought a pot this week. the owner told me that it was indian and was found in the ground. I am not sue what this is as I do not recall indian pots as having legs.
    I would like to get this pot out for Authentication but only if it is worth the cost.
    Anyone ever seen a pot like this?

tw

Hi Tom,
       Like you said, the legs are telltale. It looks more Meso than anything. Can you post a pic or two of the bottom and inside, and rim?
       Cliff

Comment

Hope I can help a little. In all my collection of Southwestern pottery I have only seen legs on figurine statues and not on pots. It would be a help to see the inside and bottom and the area it came from. Southwest pottery was made with the roll and coil and not on a wheel so you can usually tell from the inside. Black ware like yours I can't find in the book for prehistoric as most of those were made after 1900 for the tourist trade. A really good book on this is Southwestern Pottery Anasazi to Zuni by Allan Hayes and John Blom. It will help you a lot. I will put on some of the photo's from the book for you.

Comment

I will try to upload more pics.

Comment

This is the bottom of the pot.

Comment

Another pic.
            [img]

Comment

What have I bought?
              [img]

Comment

This is the bottom view of the pot.

Comment

This is the top of the pot.

Comment

This is a shot of the rim.

Comment

As you can see, I have not had much success uploading the photos. I am hoping that someone can tell me what I have bought.

Comment

Hi Winslow; Wish I knew more about the different areas that these come from. My only area I have collected pots from is Arizona and New Mexico. I know they were made across the country and I just don't know enough to really be able to help much. Your pot is most likely old from your photos and used quite a bit. I have been able sometimes to tell a Indian made pot by running my fingers over the inside. I can feel the ridges made by the clay rolls used. Scraches in the clay on the inside will also tell you that it was hand made. Indian pot makers used flat stones to smooth the inside walls and you can see the scraches in the clay. If it is to smooth inside then it most likely made on a wheel and not Indian made. Try taking it to someone near you that can hold the pot and give you a better idea. It does not fit into anything I am used to seeing but that doesent mean a lot. Good luck and someone here may know more than I about it.

Comment

To me it does not look like it spent anytime underground. I does not have the look, unless it was found buried in a dry shelter.

Comment

Working...
                          X