Two Florida Shell Artifacts And A Little Rambling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Florida Shell Artifacts And A Little Rambling

These two shell pendants were found on the ancient village of Tocobaga, located in upper Tampa Bay, Pinellas county Florida... The village is still there today with many of the original features, and has been preserved ( most of it anyway ) as a county park, and folks can enjoy the beauty and tranquility, much like the original inhabitants...It’s a continuous habitation site that has produced many artifacts from the 1950’s, back to paleo times, like 5 cent coke bottles for example ,( Wait just a minute,! That makes me an artifactualfossil, or something, no,no,no, forget that. )...Where was I, oh yeah...Although these two pieces most likely didn’t need to be treated with a preservative I opted for it...Thanks for lookin...P.S. when I visit, a special good feeling comes over me for whatever reason and I don’t wonder why, I just bathe in it, some of you know what I mean and some might think me a little tipsy, THE END.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	9422908E-D63C-46E2-85A8-F7C1FBBE20A3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	131.3 KB ID:	526422Click image for larger version  Name:	8CB25C9E-FF53-4B12-B991-52DCD5CB5B03.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	526423
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-20-2021, 11:07 AM.
    Floridaboy.

Hey Hal, You have two beautiful shell artifacts there. The second one is my favorite.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too.

Nice shells Hal.. look like plummets. Similar!
    SW Connecticut

Comment

• Cecilia
      Cecilia commented
      Editing a comment
      Duh.... I sho’ don’t know difference from these pics! I still believe plummets, regardless whether had different purpose than just pendant, made to be ornamental.

• redrocks
      redrocks commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey C. Tom Clark. Put in a pic if a shell plummet a while back. Maybe he'll see this and put it on

Very nice saves

Comment

The story is almost as good as the artifacts!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• gregszybala
        gregszybala commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, enjoy all! You definitely have had lots of fun collecting and sharing your artifacts Hal.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        And we enjoy sharing both your artifacts and your stories!

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Well ain’t that sweet.

Your digression is a great story! Love the shell pendants. I’ve never found anything like that here.
      Child of the tides

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx, Hunter., .if they were found in your area they’d most likely be hard stone

You guys have some great relics down there, appreciate the show Hal
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• outlaws15
        outlaws15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice Hal and please do

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, do. I always thot you overloaded us in the beginning; can only fit so much candy in mouth at one time, no matter how hard and fast cram! Yes, breakdown those >1478 frames into solo acts, and entertain us for next 50 yrs!

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Well those are certainly encouraging words, I’ll be posting something if the spirit moves me.

Don't see artifacts like those everyday. Thanks for posting them.
      Central Ohio

Comment

Awesome finds Hal, love getting that feeling in some of my favorite sites. Thanks for the show.

Comment

Beautiful artifacts Hal thank you for sharing the photos.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ancient art is so beautiful! Thanks for the history lesson Hal. I can't get over that one with a spiral, really impressive!
            South Carolina

Comment

Beautiful things they are.

Wasn't Tocobaga where Cabeza de Vaca first came unstuck?

Crazy story.

California

Comment

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                All I can say is most likely as tocobaga was the chief village for the whole Tampa Bay Region...Tom has worked the Area towards the mouth of the bay where the Naarvez midden is located..problem is everybody wants to claim all the different Explorers landed in their town,Lol,...but wherever they all landed they all made at least one trip up the bay to meet with the most high muckity muck at Tocabaga...Cabeza lived quite an extraordinary life, that was a good read, I did not know any of that, I always focused on De Soto...thanks.

• tomf
                tomf commented
                Editing a comment
                You ought to read 'Brutal Journey ", a bad name for a good book. Cant remember author's name. Whole story carefully put together from available records with an emphasis on archeology but told as a story and well written.

• tomf
                tomf commented
                Editing a comment
                In 1527, Pánfilo de Narváez led some 400 men on an expedition to Florida. Four survived.

Here you go.
            Working...
            X