Stunners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunners

On my continued quest of the Stunner/ Bird Stunner. The post below is self explanatory. From this Smithsonian report Plate # LVII. And so I have once again been educated! Natives did use non sharpened arrow tips to stun certain animals. As stated here specifically Waterfowl. So here ends the saga! Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2904.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	534397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	534396

Name:	IMG_2901.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	534400Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2899.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	534401

Name:	IMG_2902.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	534399Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	534402
    Attached Files
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

I'd like to see an example of one of these. Not sure I've ever seen one. If it was made of bone or ivory. Should be some examples around.
    Central Ohio

Comment

Interesting Kim....don't see any stone blunts .....might be a rumor started by collectors
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably preserved by being frozen if these are Eskimo made . I think these guys had slate to work with not sure if there was flint up that far north. Most wood and bone artifacts were not preserved down in the lower 48 unless your Hal . I would like to see the massive amounts of finds universities have from digging in south and West Texas to corroborate some of these arrow types. Iā€™m sure they have a few hundred laying in a drawer somewhere

I'm just saying that some NA did use a stunning dart. I have to look this up in my B.O.E. Smithsonian series.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
        SGT.Digger commented
        Editing a comment
        Itā€™s logical. I used to have a bird arrow when I was in my teens my dad said Indians used to have similar ones. I canā€™t remember verbatim what he said but mentioned itā€™s use in taking down passenger pigeons ect.

Name:	32C83B4A-E55A-4CC5-B50B-D04447B174BD.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	534468 this i Click image for larger version

Name:	D7C313EA-0098-4598-9B76-E060B445EFF4.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	534467 I was trying to find a similar bird arrow that I used itā€™s the looped metal one and on the same page I found these small game ā€œblunts ā€œ 3Rivers Bunny Buster Small Game Blunts we have them today makes sense they had them back then too

Comment

• CMD
        CMD commented
        Editing a comment
        I looked these up. Said uses ā€œblunt force traumaā€ on small game. It sounds like they are designed to kill, not stun?

Nice share Kim . We have found bunts that are not scrappers . We believe to be just that stunted or for a bird they say . Hunting you have different weapons for differ animals so yeah ...

Comment

I would like to see something like this in action. Birds are killed by blunt force trauma by simply flying into a closed window. How does one get the velocity needed to strike the bird or small mammal, say a squirrel, and merely stun, not kill, the creature? I know Pueblo tribes raised turkeys, not to eat, but for their feathers, and often buried them with honor. And they raised macaws as well. I donā€™t think they were stunning them in order to take them captive, but what do I know really? Once they have them, they can just breed more, of course. I know there it is in a Smithsonian publication, but I am skeptical that there would be need to shoot to stun, not kill. Sorry, but I need more evidence here. The ones SGT. Digger referenced seem designed to kill by ā€œblunt force traumaā€. But please correct me if they are not designed to kill.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• SGT.Digger
          SGT.Digger commented
          Editing a comment
          I could totally see domesticated turkeys or half wild turkeys as beneficial. During spring a hen can lay over a dozen eggs šŸ„š. Thatā€™s a huge resource. I think rat šŸ€ and cat milk has some of the highest protein content in the animal kingdom and would be a good calorie resource but Iā€™m sure they never milked a rat lol šŸ˜. I have wondered if they kept other animals and milked them like some modern day indigenous folks do . Himalayas and Andes for example with the alpacas and yaks ect. I got my milk facts years ago watch Professor Veith called udderly amazing. Itā€™s a great topic if your interested in dairy . https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-QoYN1q4wEM
          Last edited by SGT.Digger; 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM.

• tomf
          tomf commented
          Editing a comment
          Nets for birds I've read.

Maybe some of you hunters out there can tell me if these are intended to kill, not simply knock out, game? I know Iā€™m not shooting a squirrel with one of these, then running up and picking up a still living squirrel.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/a...ll-game-points

This is likely all going over my head, haha, and I donā€™t even realize it. Maybe stunning IS about killing them. My confusion stems from interpreting ā€œstunningā€ as not truly killing them, but rather, well, just as stated, simply stunning them. If one did want to capture a critter alive, would not a snare be a better idea than shooting them with a blunt? This is likely where Iā€™m confused. Perhaps blunts were designed to kill by blunt force trauma. I just reasoned that using the word ā€œstunnersā€ implied not actually using lethal force, for whatever reason...

In other words, although they are here being called ā€œstunnersā€, they are designed to kill by blunt force trauma, yes?
        Last edited by CMD; 02-27-2021, 04:49 PM.
        Rhode Island

Comment

• SGT.Digger
          SGT.Digger commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes to your last question although there may have been a need to damage something without killing for whatever reason. I was thinking stunners were for taking food dead or alive . For instance if the hunting party were far away from camp in heat of the summer the meat would spoil in 30 minutes if not gutted and an hour in the hot sun if not prepared, (Iā€™ve had flies blow doves I had on the ground and they started to stink within an hour with guts inside) so there could have been a benefit to keep something half alive or wounded for fresher transport back to the camp , and also having something bounce off or not have deep penetration would have been useful in saving shafts from damage.would make for a great target arrow/something that could be reshot or thrown over and over . Maybe stunners suffer from the same fate as bird points as far as labeling them. I will always call them bird points but I know they could take down a Buffalo šŸ¦¬ and large game . Thatā€™s what I was raised calling them

I appreciate all of the comments. However I've done a lot of reading from first person experience. Never have I read that any animals were domesticated except for birds of pray in the north east. I don't know about other parts of the U.S. Of course this doesn't mean I've read everything.

Comment

• SGT.Digger
          SGT.Digger commented
          Editing a comment
          Dogs šŸ•?

Oh yes dogs! I think they would have trapped wolves.

Comment

Guys , like a BB gun . You never went out and did this .
          Are my brother and I the only ones that made and dried cal clay to make weapons for sling shots .
          Of course I put rose thorns on them for those annoying bullies .
          And we were just playing so I cannot imagine what a human in survival mode did .
          We had to hurl a large rock hard enough to take out a snake . I know Ron is laughing thinking of his childhood or now equipment .
          Last edited by Tam; 03-01-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X