Rawhide rattle. Authentic? Origin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rawhide rattle. Authentic? Origin?

I bought this rattle in a thrift store in Clearwater Florida about 20 years ago. Just a couple years later, I saw another rattle that was almost Identical in materials, construction and decoration, in a museum in Dawson Creek, British Columbia. The museum piece was made better, with more even and straight stitching. The thread looks to be real sinew. The hair looks like bison tail hairs. Click image for larger version

Name:	1283F44F-A0AF-4331-B48C-1A6FDA82F372.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	536744Click image for larger version

Name:	6C795F12-6EE0-4F6A-8AF4-6698A6056EDA.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	536745Click image for larger version

Name:	69DE89E4-F3C5-4CDA-BB11-7D33863BD78B.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	536746Click image for larger version

Name:	7F5CDE5B-A53B-4EBD-B717-6B0EB038DEBE.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	536747Click image for larger version

Name:	5F35E01D-2D6D-484D-9F83-0D759F13A375.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	536748

could this rattle be authentic? Any ideas of the tribe or region?
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Looks old antique not sure if it’s pre 1900 but I’m no expert just a guess . The red color would be hard to get from plants or minerals and it seems funky on that one picture like it was rushed and painted on with a modern type brush . I’m thinking modern Native American made .

Comment

Well CJ, it does look very old. So near the end of the old ways Natives lived some still worshiped in the "old ways". This looks like a rattle a Shaman would use in ritual rights and ceremony's. Or it could have been used for dance. If it is say 150 years old, it would fall into the Antique area. If is a trade item, you'll have to find it's source. By the stitching it looks very old. Late 1800s maybe. There are unscrupulous reproducers that can do some Damn good work. I hope others can shed something of their experience with you. I would love to have this in my collection. If what you have is real, it is very very rare indeed. Thanks for giving us a look, we don't see something like this very often. Kim
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Modern or authentic I just can’t say.
      I have not seen many of these at all.
      a very nice piece for the display cabinet,
      hope you get a answer... I’ll be coming back to this thread.
      thanks for posting this , Charles....👍
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

It is old for sure, but how old is the question. The red paint would not be hard to reproduce in some sections of the country, as paints can be made from clays, crushed rock, etc. I'd say from th Civil War period, to around the 1900s is where I'd date it.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Charles Jones
          Charles Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m thinking red paint of dye could be available in trade, also.

Cool
        SW Connecticut

Comment

Working...
        X