Found some broken pottery today, and something neat [Laurens County, SC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found some broken pottery today, and something neat [Laurens County, SC]

Found an area today with a bunch of broken pottery, debitage, charcoal, wood, and possibly the remains of sunk posts. It was almost dark so I grabbed a few bits of pottery and big debitage/broken arrowheads, and a big chunk of clay. I hoped it'd be something after cleaning it up, what it looks like is extra clay someone smushed in their hand. Ultimately just garbage but neat to see the print of someone's fist. Maybe I'm nuts but at least the pottery is real haha. Hoping to find time tomorrow evening to go back.
    Attached Files
    Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Very nice pottery finds..Now about the whatizits..I’m thinkin if that was a ball of un fired pottery it wouldn’t have the hardness to remain the same shape ...I’m thinkin nobody would fire a ball of clay ( don’t nobody say anything about poverty point cooking balls cus I’m pretty sure that doesn’t apply here ) anyway that’s what I think and I usually have a 50/50 chance of gettin things right,..Why is there a gloss on some pottery pieces,?.. looks like a red clay/dirt dry site.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Coy
      Coy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll put it in the Maybe Bucket with the rest of my Rorschach "artifacts" lol

Question for ya: there's loads of broken pottery all over this place (picked some more up today), but not many broken arrowheads. Is that normal? I'm tempted to dig because the area is a washout and it'll eventually all end up in the creek anyways (tried to walk the creek but I'm so rubbish I doubt I could find a pumpkin in there) but if there's pottery underground I reckon digging would ruin anything worth hanging on to. Thoughts? Should I just check it after rain and let nature run its course?

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      After you’ve found a site which you have, it’s just a crap shoot as to what it will give up, your dealin will humans that left this stuff, try to think like they would and the more you get into your site the more secrets it will give up, and Therein lies the joy of this here hobby waitin for you to discover,who knows what..The way to get complete pots is to save the pieces good luck chasin em.p.s. Would like to see some clear side views of pottery
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 03-05-2021, 02:14 AM.

• Coy
      Coy commented
      Editing a comment
      Side view of the pieces or once I jigsaw puzzle something together? That might be a while haha. One thing I notice is the pieces seem really flat.

Maybe it's a chunk of steatite or something.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Coy; 03-04-2021, 01:45 AM.

Comment

#1. Was able to put them back together

#2. Side of some pieces

#3. Some different patterns

#4. Backs

#5. Also found a bear (just kidding)
      Attached Files

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it, love it, love it! I got a Giant Sloth maybe could dance with Horse!

Now that horsie is an arty lookin Rembrandt, or in this case a Coybrant, great imagination, I love it..
      Last edited by Hal Gorges; 03-05-2021, 09:49 AM.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Working...
      X