Abrader for Flint Eastwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abrader for Flint Eastwood

Posting this for flint. This Abrader or whatever is made of White Quartz. The yellowing is patana. I call it a Bevel, you can see the ridge line all around it. It's very smooth but not polished, all around. I have only seen 3 of these in my life and I found all 3. You can see the similarities with yours Flint. If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate your comments because I really don't know what it was used for. All 3 were found on sites that produce pottery, so I think they may have been used for smoothing wet pottery? I post this here as I didn't want to hijack Flints nice post. Enjoy, Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999[1].JPG
Views:	139
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	540559Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3000[1].JPG
Views:	205
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	540560
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997[1].JPG
Views:	238
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	540557Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2998[1].JPG
Views:	200
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	540558
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Maybe it is a PA thing!
    I must say, either I do not have an eye for it, or there is a serious lack of pottery in my area.
    Our finds, particularly the angle you share in your final photo, closely resemble each other.
    Thanks again!
    The only thing I can state with confidence...I have handled 1,000+ points and viewed many many times more.
    Holding this piece, you are certain the presence of human touch.
    Flint
    northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

Cool, but I don’t believe it’s a pottery stone..It’s too round and heavy, pottery tools are flatter, and generally a wee bit smaller with more of a concave shape to mate the convex exterior of the vessel...hands are also a key tool in the forming and semi smoothing process, I think.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        You make a good point Hal. So any idea of what these are?

That looks like a hammerstone woi.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay but why the Beveled edge? I have 3 of these,the one posted is the best.
    Working...
    X