Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tam
    replied
    This is a very nice post Tom . Kind of hate to put a few sherds on here. I’ll repost and bring it back up so people see this .
    great ID on the bottle I would love to find that . I want to get on one of these old early home sites in Webster country Georgia . I know antmike has .

Leave a comment:

• Lindenmeier-Man
    commented on 's reply
    Excellent !

• Sandycolorado
    replied
    Large pile of unusual old bottles and ceramic

Leave a comment:

• Sandycolorado
    commented on 's reply
    I have found a large group of them

• redrocks
    commented on 's reply
    I don't what's up with this point Glenn.. there are tiny bubbles in it

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    I found what I thought was a point one time in a creek lt was a piece of brown glass I’m guessing it was a beer bottle and not old maybe someone was trying to learn to Knapp . Looks just like a point I don’t think it could of fractured like that on accident. I kept it but I think it’s a modern piece. I’ve got it some place couldn’t say where. But that’s the only thing I’ve ever found worked out of glass.

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    Are there any comparable glass points in other local collections, do you know?
    Concave base we often associate with older forms out here in the west. If that's the case in CT, then it throws up a bit of a flag.
    Still, that it was found in context of established site gives it credibility.
    Fascinating, altogether.

• redrocks
    replied
    Thx for looking Tom....I guess the point can be similar to the types found in the. Area.....I found the point same place as my weights points and pottery come from along the river at low tide....there was a well known fishing camp all along the river so .who knows

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    Wow. Those are amazing, Red. Found on a home site, I dunno. It's hard to believe somebody is playing tricks on you. Does the point conform to local style? Scrapers are similar to what I've found. No reason to doubt them. They validate the point. I'm with JJ . Awesome finds and thanks for showing them.

• redrocks
    replied
    Hey Tom I posted these long ago but thought ya might like to see em. The point I found down my river site....I'm thinking some one was messing around .JJ thinks it's the real deal.. check em out Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190315_085956.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	555419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190412_181756.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	555420Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_112354_6~2.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	555421Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_113756_1~2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	555422Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_113756_1~2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	555423Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210508_113826_9~2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	555424

Leave a comment:

• redrocks
    replied
    Cool thread Tom! I got a couple worked glass pieces. I'll show ya if I can find em and ya don't mind me putting em in here
    Last edited by redrocks; 05-08-2021, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lindenmeier-Man
    commented on 's reply
    I keep what I’ve found separate, I’ll post you some pics I’ve just got to remember where I stashed the glass scrapers.

• Missouri Breaks
    replied
    Amazing to think about the bottle material bridging the settler and indigenous cultures, albeit not that great for the natives. The situation might have been the maker didn’t have access or the freedom to get to the obsidian but still wanted to create something traditional. I dunno, might have been a hold out group that liked the glass. Special piece though.

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, JJ. I'd love to see some worked glass from Texas sometime. It's different from most things we pick up because we can date it so specifically. Typology is pretty loose by comparison. Also we understand some of the circumstances of the people that made them. So I'm happy to find them, though sometimes a little sad when I think about what they represent.
    Really interesting to learn they were used by settlers too. In a way that makes sense when you realize the comparative value of bottles and glass back then. Bottle worth many times their contents. Glass seen to have value if when broken.
    Back east indians quickly adapted to mettle and largely abandoned stone but in the west there wasn't time, I suppose. I have never found a metal arrowhead in California. How about in Texas?

• Lindenmeier-Man
    replied
    Tom I’ve found many glass scrapers here on the South Plains of Tx. Most of which I believed belonged to NA slaves of buffalo hunters. Also, as the buffalo were kilt for hides and tongues, the enslaved NA people at the very least had plenty of meat to strap. The glass scrapers are not uncommon. Congrats on recognizing the work on the bottle bottoms. JJ

Leave a comment:

Working...
X