Is this Pottery? Newbie first time on the creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Pottery? Newbie first time on the creek

So my daughter started kindergarten this year and has been learning about local history for the area (Northeast Georgia). She got on a kick that she wanted to look for some arrowheads so we started walking the creek on the farm. Started finding what I think was pottery and found this forum trying to find out more about it. Think we’ve started a new thing we both enjoy. Here’s our finds for the first time. No arrowheads yet but is this pottery?

S core!! Nice pottery sherds! ...cool ur kindergartener got ya into this hobby
    SW Connecticut

Comment

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of pottery...it looks like it to me, and extremely thin walled pottery at that..The piece( hereafter known as a sherd ) at the tip of your fingers looks like a rim piece from the collar of a vessel similar to pic.1....The one with lines is similar to several in pic.2....Taken into account that the others are extremely worn I think the one on the left is a paddle stamped piece, pic3 is an example of carved paddles... The other looks plain...I’m exited for you and you daughter, I just know you’re gonna find arrowheads and all kinda goodies.....So I believe you’ve found some Woodland sherds, the period dates from 1000 BC -1000AD....Deptford is early woodland....Hope this helps..I’m commenting at such an hour when I make my maximum mistakes, Lol...stay safe in them creeks....
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2A7B3736-C8C7-4E30-B117-6EA975C734E3.png
Views:	249
Size:	615.8 KB
ID:	554844Click image for larger version

Name:	4987C88F-1D12-4E09-B6A3-7B6CA564CD14.png
Views:	255
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	554845Click image for larger version

Name:	5B5DE24E-5613-4561-86D1-636C3DD33BAF.png
Views:	242
Size:	480.5 KB
ID:	554846
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• RedHeader
        RedHeader commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! That’s really exciting, thanks for the info. Y’all really do have a wealth of knowledge here!

Wahoo! for you, RedHeader, and WAHOO! for wonderful girl-child!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• RedHeader
        RedHeader commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s actually funny, our creek is a feeder for Wahoo creek up here on the north end of lake Lanier. But yes, she’s giving some wahoos!

Congrats. And welcome from new jersey. Great information from Hal they are also.
      New Jersey

Comment

Fan the flames; much fun and quality time ahead!

Comment

If you’re finding those nice sherds, you will find other artifacts.
          South Dakota

Comment

Welcome to the site and congrats on your pot sherd finds you too!
            Probably won’t be long before your finding arrowheads as well, don’t forget to check out the farm ground as well.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• RedHeader
              RedHeader commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, our corn fields are about 1/2 mile up the creek so I’m sure we’ll start walking those too!

Y'all did well! Here's a Georgia site with some decent pottery info.

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

I’m not so sure the biggest piece is pottery the lines are quite straight almost looks like a tile I cant tell on the other 2 they might be pottery just small pieces
              NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
              X