Another bowl with back story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another bowl with back story

About 8 years ago I signed up for some knapping lessons with Jack Cresson . We met, had lunch, some conversation and made an outing to collect hammer stones. We made plans to drive together to a knap-in at House Mountain VA. We drove the 8 hrs straight through! That weekend, among others, I met a man named Don Muscher. He was and an old friend of Jack's and we hit it off and had a good weekend. It was a good weekend even though I busted my finger open spalling quartzite boulders. I returned the following year alone and ran into Don again. He had remembered me and he invited me over to visit his place nearby when the weekend knapping was over. I wasn't becoming a very good knapper but I shared my enthusiasm for a large pottery find I had recently put together (my profile pic). Well we had a good day at his house and he offered me a box of pottery scraps he had worked on. They had been sitting for years, maybe decades. He gave me the small box which had two separate bags in it. He wished me luck in fitting some pieces together and we parted ways. I was ecstatic and thanked him, promising to send photos of any progress I made. I drove home and started on the project the next day. When I had finished many days later I sent photos. We exchanged emails and even talked on the phone a few times. He sent many funny emails. As years went by we stopped keeping in touch. Sadly I just learned he passed away about 6 months ago.

Don told me he dug the sherds from a hole he was working on the Susquehanna riverside years back in Milan Pa. There were known native villages until almost 1800 there and in 2017 a large project was started there to recover artifacts according to an article I found online. These photos I have show the partial bowl, which was globular in shape and in its original state was probably about 15" wide and high or more. I had to re-attach a piece which was damaged when my wife had a little accident despite the plexiglass cube cover. So I documented the repair of the rim piece. First off, I forgave her lol. Noteworthy is the frail condition of this item. The sherds were quite deteriorated. I don't know if it is acidic soil, poor clay, or what. The inside of the sherds are black. Was it over cooked?

I used Elmer's glue like always simply because un-glueing only takes some water. Tape holds the piece in place while it dries. I like to stick the tape to something else first so it's adhesion will not take the design off but is still strong enough to hold the little piece for a few hours. After it dried and I removed the tape a visible crack was seen which I decided to fill. As you can see from the photos I managed to put together two separate sections of the vessel which do not fit together. There is also one loan piece that fits no where. I stole a tiny piece off the spare piece and crushed it to dust for filler. I put some glue in the crack and sprinkled the ground, dusty particles to fill the crack and smooth the appearance a little. It made a noticable improvement. Considering the poor preservation of the vessel I didn't get into matching impressions on this part.

All in all I'm thankful for meeting Don and for his kindness and generosity, and I'm satisfied with the way this project came together. This vessel has a nice collared rim and cool designs still visible. By the way the other small bag in the box had pieces none of which fit together. Thanks for looking.

P.s. on the back there is some shiny glue from when Don tried to assemble the pieces years before. Not sure what it is. Also on the back is a piece of masking tape or maybe drywall tape left from his efforts.
    Last edited by kayakaddict; 06-04-2021, 01:30 PM.
    New Jersey

New Jersey

Comment

That is a wonderful story. I admire your patience in trying to reconstruct the pot. I don't have the patience to do jig saw puzzles much less something as intricate as you tried to do. That and knowing all the pieces are not there.

Comment

Cool story, nice job.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Your story is a nice tribute to your friend. Good job putting it together.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nice work, I like the way you display it.

Comment

That's really cool! Nice job putting the sherds together... I like the way you made a stand to display your work.... I was thinking of using some #8 solid copper wire to display my partial pit when I glue it. Good story and tribute to your friend ..
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Remarkable !
                Lubbock County Tx

Comment

You have some good memories there my friend .
                  That rim is a show stopper . Great job , it really give you an idea of what the pot looked like . Don’t you agree these pots are so thin for the size . I just can’t get over that . I told you I throw pots well use to and there was a threshold on strength .
                  The black inside makes me wonder . I find some with and some without . Wonder if the tempering material is what’s turning . Heat or time ??

Comment

Have you researched the pottery to find out what you have?
                    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

pkfrey I did some research a few years back. Iroquois/Owasco, way beyond early woodland and most likely late-middle or late because of the constricting collar, although it is less dramatic than many of the very latest woodland/contact vessels. The rings on the collar are likely chord impressed but the pattern below I do not know, maybe incised with a multi-pronged tool, but look too deep for fabric impressions, and not paddled either. The area was occupied by merging tribes during colonial times, possibly "Six Nations" and I have wondered if the stress of the times affected the quality of the processing because the sherds are brittle compared to thousands of other north eastern sherds I've handled. The tempering is crushed quartz and little sand. I don't have a specific match to a design from any literature. The globular shape would be like the photo. It held approx 2 gallons. That's all I have on this item. The condition is so poor and is crumbly. I expect to reinforce it.
                      Attached Files
                      New Jersey

Comment

Actually your very close! From your first photos, the contour would probably come down to a cone shaped vessel. The exterior is cord marked, And it's from the Point Peninsula/Owasco Culture. The extra fragile nature is from to much sand in this particular vessel. Most of these are fairly solid, and are also somewhat fragile from the soil it was found in. The Susquehannocks also lived in that area, and they would have been the natives to encounter white man and trade items. Your vessel is much earlier, ca. 1200 - 1400 AD.
                        http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Who! PK you're pretty sharp! Thanks. I will check the NY State Archeology site too as I have only NJ literature. Now if I could figure out why the sherds are so weak and crumbly, maybe someone has seen this before. Another small partial vessel I have from "upstate N Y" as we call it also has deterioration issues. At this point I suspect your comment about too much sand, as well as possibly acidic rain/soil or possibly over heated. I have offered a local archeologist to examine my pottery and he has shared my offer with another professional but I have never heard back from them.
                          Last edited by kayakaddict; 06-06-2021, 11:42 AM.
                          New Jersey

Comment

• pkfrey
                            pkfrey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That area in Bradford Co. was home to natives from Paleo to Contact, with a lot of Owasco and Susquehannock activity. A lot of sites were excavated near Towanda, and Queen Esther Flats. The Towanda Fairgrounds is actually a Susquehannock Village site!! Your vessel is proto-Iroquois, and the Owasco people overlapped the Shenks Ferry people at around 1550.

PK and anyone interested in learning more about this culture, this link is good on NY pottery (and other)

Great stuff in there about Owasco/Point Peninsula, as well as mention of pot construction and the change from coiling to modeling which may likely apply here considering the breaks in this vessel I posted are not horizontal like the coiled pottery of earlier Woodland, which I see a lot of here in South Jersey. Good paper for other NY stuff if you haven't seen this one yet.
                          New Jersey

Comment

Great thread gentlemen .

Comment

Working...
                            X