Parfleche

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parfleche

If any of you have very old Beaded Native leather items they are precious. Posted here is an item I inherited from my family collection. Its overall height is 13 inches and is 12 inches wide. It is made of very light weight leather, perhaps Buck skin. There are skin frays across bottom edge. It is bordered with red felt. The felt is frayed along and near the top edge. It has light bead work. The beads are mostly known as Pony Beads, that are light blue and white. It has some Leather thongs on the top to close up the top, and is painted red and blue. This item is called a parfleche . Some will refer to it as a mail pouch; it truly is a Native pouch. I believe it was made in the late 1800s to very 1900s. Parfleches come in other sizes and shapes. This Artifact is very fragile, and I very rarely take it out of my house. This is the first time I have taken it out of the frame for the picture. It is a precious addition to my collection. If anyone has any further information on this piece, Please post as I know not where it is from, I suppose it’s from the West. Picture 1 & 2 are mine. #s 3 &4 are other examples from the web. Enjoy Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3634.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	603313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3637.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	603314

Name:	Parfletch.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	603315Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	603316
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Awesome. Amazing any of these survived. The design looks like high plains tribe and not Plateau. Keep it in the family!

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do Jack, I thought you might have some insight as to where it's from. Thanks for looking.
      Last edited by Mattern; 12-03-2021, 11:51 AM.

Love the old leather goods...cool.👍
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      This is the only Old Leather piece I have. Thanks.

What a bit of history to have. Hope you learn more about it.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Awesome piece Kim!
      SW Connecticut

Comment

• Mattern
        Mattern commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I believe it is Red, and very rare for East coast collections.

First pic looks like an animated teepee with a cozy fire in the pit.
      If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

How did they make the outline o f the design? Was it drawn on or was it cut into the leather then painted between the lines?

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          It was drawn. I don't know what kind of Pigment was used. Maybe an early paint.

Excellent ! Not been around much Kim, how is the back situation ?
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for asking. It's really bad. More pain than I have ever had. It's a long story. But the hospital won't operate on anyone who will need an overnight stay. ( redickulas )

That is awesome Kim.
        South Carolina

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jo, it is an unusual collectors Item. I've only seen them in museums.

Neat Piece their is a wealth of information in that the geometric patterns and lines all construe a yet undecided meaning in my opion wonder what type of leather it is deer bison or just a stupid cow lol
        New Jersey

Comment

Name:	4EEAF5C8-FDAD-456F-BEDC-D3135AABEF5D.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	603934 The most valuable early Parfleche’ were delicately prepared Antelope,Deer,Elk,Moose and Deer hides/ Bags/Sacred Tipi door coverings were painted/ prepared with natural pigments from plant barks, seeds and such. They made brushes from horse hair and other items. As time went on and tribes were forced onto reservations Indians would use early paint/dyes and things available and even cow hides if that was all they could get. Most of The real special old sacred handed tribal pieces were kept in tribal holdings-but some got sold/bought back in day. If you wanna experience a mind blowing revelation of American Indian Art—- when in Phoenix AZ— go to the Heard’ Museum!!!! You’ll walk out realizing who the real artists are!!!! Here’s a Circa 1890’ Cabinet photo of a Nez Perce Tipi in Lapwai Idaho adorned with original Handed down sacred Parfleche’ Tipi flap door and such. These were important tribal ancestors no doubt

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            I've studied plant pigments in my area. It really is fascinating what they used for their art. Including tattooing.. Thanks for looking and comment Jack. If I ever get out your way I'll look you up! Kim

Is that what these might be?? Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadedPlaqueLg.jpg.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	604075Click image for larger version

Name:	BeadedPlaqueA.jpg (1).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	604076
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

• Mattern
            Mattern commented
            Editing a comment
            I would say yes. I had a site where there where 3 cemeteries. Plows brought up fascinating stuff, including these little seed beads, Dutch traders brought them up the Susquehanna River from the Chesapeake Bay and traded them for Peltry. Since the Galleons couldn't make it up to the Native towns the Dutch came in John boats. On a good day I could find 10 to 20 trade Beads. Made in Venice Italy, many verities.
        Working...
        X