• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Gorges
    commented on 's reply
    đź‘Ť

• Hal Gorges
    commented on 's reply
    You got it right, hundreds of hours over several years..I picked at it off and on ..work some, get disgusted with it, worked some more get dissatisfied and so on.....My full time job took pretty much all my time till a couple of years ago ..When I joined the forum it rekindled my interest in finishing it..Me being me I still ain’t satisfied with it but I ain’t gonna break it apart and redo it, if you say it’s ok that’s good enough for me..Thanks for the comment Tom..Have a safe productive year

• flintguy
    commented on 's reply
    Was wondering the same thing Tom.

• gregszybala
    replied
    All's I've got is WOW! Very nice!

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    replied
    I’m gonna pull out my Weeden stuff, read more about this incredible work of art. Those Weedens…. they certainly knew their way around their clay…

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    replied
    Amazing restoration of a fabulous vessel. So you had to create the missing 40% to match perfectly? Designs, patina and shaped to fit...remarkable job, Hal. Or am I misunderstanding ?

Leave a comment:

• Lindenmeier-Man
    replied
    Got to love it Hal !

Leave a comment:

• Hal Gorges
    started a topic Florida Pottery #58

Florida Pottery #58

I have shown this before but It needs to be shown again in this series, a little different narrative and photos

This is a Weeden Island punctated vessel with a simple rolled rim ..It was recovered in 72 in Pinellas county Florida...The motif around the rim is of a crested woodpecker which was bird revered among Mississippian culture people and depicted from realistic. to abstract..The different birds around the vessel are wading birds...These type vessels are around 15”high and average 1/4” thin.. They were made during the height of WI period

This is a full restoration..Meaning care was taken to keep the walls the same thickness inside and out...Original colors, nicks, scrapes, punctations and rodent chew marks (red circle) were duplicated..This piece was scattered over a 90’ area ( which presented a different patina problem) and approximately 60 percent was recovered, enough to not guess at anything..I finally finished it last year after an on again off again love affair with it..It was almost finished twice and broken during house moving..Third time’s a charm Lol...Gonna keep this short....Oh yeah, the white is water color that can be removed .......Thanks for the 👀

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7087E69-2098-416C-97B0-5EF3D9DB707B.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	609759Click image for larger version

Name:	25BD655E-B9D7-4C57-966D-5CA782050716.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	609760 ​​​​​​​
Working...
X