Florida Pottery #58

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Pottery #58

I have shown this before but It needs to be shown again in this series, a little different narrative and photos

This is a Weeden Island punctated vessel with a simple rolled rim ..It was recovered in 72 in Pinellas county Florida...The motif around the rim is of a crested woodpecker which was bird revered among Mississippian culture people and depicted from realistic. to abstract..The different birds around the vessel are wading birds...These type vessels are around 15”high and average 1/4” thin.. They were made during the height of WI period

This is a full restoration..Meaning care was taken to keep the walls the same thickness inside and out...Original colors, nicks, scrapes, punctations and rodent chew marks (red circle) were duplicated..This piece was scattered over a 90’ area ( which presented a different patina problem) and approximately 60 percent was recovered, enough to not guess at anything..I finally finished it last year after an on again off again love affair with it..It was almost finished twice and broken during house moving..Third time’s a charm Lol...Gonna keep this short....Oh yeah, the white is water color that can be removed .......Thanks for the 👀

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7087E69-2098-416C-97B0-5EF3D9DB707B.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	609759Click image for larger version

Name:	25BD655E-B9D7-4C57-966D-5CA782050716.jpeg
Views:	190
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	609760 ​​​​​​​
    Floridaboy.

Got to love it Hal !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Amazing restoration of a fabulous vessel. So you had to create the missing 40% to match perfectly? Designs, patina and shaped to fit...remarkable job, Hal. Or am I misunderstanding ?
      California

Comment

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Was wondering the same thing Tom.

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it right, hundreds of hours over several years..I picked at it off and on ..work some, get disgusted with it, worked some more get dissatisfied and so on.....My full time job took pretty much all my time till a couple of years ago ..When I joined the forum it rekindled my interest in finishing it..Me being me I still ain’t satisfied with it but I ain’t gonna break it apart and redo it, if you say it’s ok that’s good enough for me..Thanks for the comment Tom..Have a safe productive year

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Duco? I use mash-up mixture modeling clay, Elmer’s fill in empty spots of pretty things I break…

I’m gonna pull out my Weeden stuff, read more about this incredible work of art. Those Weedens…. they certainly knew their way around their clay…
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha.Yes, research 🤗

All's I've got is WOW! Very nice!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        👍

Oh my! That’s fantastic, REALLY fantastic!
      South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the comment Josie.

Fantastic

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        .Four leaf Clovis?
        Last edited by Hal Gorges; 01-12-2022, 01:02 AM.

That is really something great! Good job. The birds remind me of ibis

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	742786E0-58D2-4672-BC30-201340F4D74D.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	609845
        Floridaboy.

Comment

• Seltzer Boy
          Seltzer Boy commented
          Editing a comment
          This inspired a little research of my own. Apparently the egyptians had a whole industry of ibis consecration. They often interred them with snail shells in their bill. Aka a small circle at the end of it's break, with a little imagination.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a cool thought.hafta keep that in mind..Thx.

Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          2-2-2-1-1..Important series of numbers from subconscious..Meaning unknown.Always get a kick out of those guys 👍

Waaaah! Help me, Hal. Need you do Gorges’ da Vinci rendering of birds. I see abstract-y bird heads? Can’t look in books til know what seeing….

(P.s. later, I stopped looking for long legs of birds, coz realized birds were not wading, but were “wading birds”……duh….; now can look in books!)
        Last edited by Cecilia; 01-14-2022, 10:35 AM.
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          Should I have put it in parentheses?

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          Smartybutt! Yes, I do love the parentheses (guess they’re more handy than saying “aside” in italics….[I like those “….”, too!])
      Working...
      X