Arkansas Pottery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas Pottery?

I’m not sure how I acquired this piece ..I believe someone gave it to me.. it had a sticker on it labeled Arkansas..

The design was applied after firing its a reconstruction not a restoration... any information anyone has about pottery of this type would e appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD4C6481-74BB-4763-A56B-E81A3EDA3D1E.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	618182Click image for larger version

Name:	5EE55266-78AC-45B5-B5FB-7D7A8B28AA99.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	618183Click image for larger version

Name:	19AF2AE3-096B-4A5C-A4A2-27F88CBF1EA4.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	618184Click image for larger version

Name:	8C6AA409-B57D-4E86-B2DA-6DAE22C33566.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	618185
    Floridaboy.

Awesome Piece Hal. Wow incised on the inner rim. Flared lip, wavy rim. Exterior incising. Boy it has a lot going for it. You can actually see the smoothing wipe mark on the inside. Can I borrow it for a few years? K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I could probably guess within 30~miles where it came from.

I have a few pieces in that style.

it appears to have been a used piece, and not just a funerary ornament. The inside looks to be a Bell Plain finish, and the outside looks to be some form of incised, but hard for me to see because of the pictures and my old eyes.

the finish is a little unusual, in that a bell plain finish is more commonly found outside a vessel, usually on jars, water bottles, spittoons, etc.

love the incision inside the rim, and the “warped” look is a cool variant. I’ve not seen one quite like it…but that step/shoulder is common enough.

really nice example. Thanks for sharing.
      ​​​​​​​
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Tam
        Tam commented
        Editing a comment
        I knew you would chime in .
        Thank you

cool....
      Utah

Comment

What a beautiful vessel. Agree that the 'warp' and decoration make it something special. How did you manage to forget where you got it?
        California

Comment

Pretty neat. You could probably contact Ken Partain for a verification. Ken has handled and ID'd thousands of Arkansas pottery pieces over the years. Or Sam at Caddo Trading.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
            Hal Gorges commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for sharing
        Working...
        X