Pottery Find on Trail - Older?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery Find on Trail - Older?

EDIT: Thanks for the help! Thinking stoneware jug. Would still love any idea on age of it. Please feel free to move to appropriate forum now, thanks again.

Hello all and thanks for having me back. I have been away for some time due to being busy here at home, but wanted to share some recent finds. I was walking down the trail through the woods today in an area that for at least four generations has not held any home/living area, and found this buried in the mud. There is a spot that almost appears to have a fingerprint on it, and clearly crafted by hand. My question is, could this be Native pottery? Found in an area where we have found knife points. Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by homesteading2022; 09-05-2022, 07:04 PM.

I dont think it's native American. Could be part of a turpentine jar? Maybe sewer pipe.

Comment

It is glazed therefore not native. Called Stoneware in some parts. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Looks like it's from an old stoneware jug. Now you just need to knapp it into a point. 😉
        Last edited by Narrow Way Knapper; 09-05-2022, 06:17 PM.
        South Carolina

Comment

Thanks for all the help! I am very much new to this and always like to check

Comment

Definitely historic stoneware, looks to have been thrown on a potters wheel, ie. finger tracks on the inside surface. I'm not sure what was used to get the brown glaze, most are a gray salt glaze, sometimes decorated with cobalt blue glaze. could date anywhere in the 18'th or early 19'th century.

Comment

• Garguy
              Garguy commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. I have seen several terpentine pots made really similar. Same age.
          Working...
          X