Couple Hammerstones/Nutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Hammerstones/Nutter

I picked these 2 stones out of a field in Bullitt Co KY a long time ago. I was hesitant to bring them home, but I found them very near each other, this type of stone was out of place in this location, and it's very near my home, so I did.

A friend of mine immediately id'd one of them as a nutter. I was very skeptical as I had no idea what to look for on hardstone as far as usage wear marks etc.

One side has a slight depression.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220908_094426_3790.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	653901

The other side doesn't even have a depression, but some pecking in the middle where they might have smashed some nuts on this side too.

Name:	Resized_20220908_094452_5157.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	653904

I see some pecking around the edges of this stone as well. I'm thinking probably from utilizing it as a hammerstone as well as a nutter.

Name:	Resized_20220908_094324_6819.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	653902

...and one edge is very smooth. Guessing they used this side to grind point bases/edges etc.

Name:	Resized_20220908_094318_1561.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	653900

And this stone, which I found next to the nutter in the same field, I simply tossed in the rock garden under my parents propane tank. Many years later I thought to go find it again since my dad said "come and get these rocks or I'm throwing them in the creek" lol.

But one side seems oddly flat/smooth like it was used as a grinder. I don't see any pecking though this is a harder stone than the other.

Name:	Resized_20220908_100546_4502.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	653903

If you hold this in your hand as a knapper would, and you look at the point that would have struck lithics, there seems to be some subtle wear from striking things... maybe a far reached conclusion, but seems like it to me

Name:	Resized_20220908_094644_9507.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	653905Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220908_094710_3217_circle.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	653906Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220908_094629_1728_circle.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	653907

I was very skeptical of my friend's assessment, but glad I listened to him because shortly after finding these, I found a full groove axe in the same location, which made me go back and take a closer look at these two stones.

Although there are very subtle wear marks which are difficult to notice, I am now convinced they were used as multi-purpose tools....especially since I found the axe soon after in the same location... it's like they were all left there at a camp since they didn't want to haul them around...

Nice artifacts
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Cool artifacts. My personal feeling on the divots is they were pretty much all used as thumbholds for the original multitool. Especially for knapping and splitting bones and a litany of daily work. There's a knapper on youtube I saw one day using sandstones with divots to manufacture a good portion of the process. The one thing I noticed was his used up pile he had were mostly diamond shaped. From not only hammering but abrading. I used to go to a site that peoduced literally hundreds of these, and a good potion were diamond shaped. I also found a couple of large stones with several deep divots I imagined were true nutting stones. JMO

Comment

• DiversionHound
        DiversionHound commented
        Editing a comment
        Great info. Thanks so much! Yes, I noticed a portion of one of these stones that appears to be super smooth from abrading I suppose.

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Apache, your avatar reminds me watercolor prints I usta have by Carol Griggs.

• ApacheNDN
        ApacheNDN commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a copy of one of my Uncle's paintings.

The first stone shows usage as a hammer. As for the central divot, very often these are in fact anvil stones, as described in this old thread:

Anvil Stone (Nutting Stone?) Posted [CMD]: Moderator Note: this thread was first posted in 2013 but failed to transfer across to the new forum when the
      Rhode Island

Comment

• DiversionHound
        DiversionHound commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info and the link!

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Silly, I know, but I love when find smooth something with distinct divot. Roundish ones here thot maybe bola stones with divot to accommodate knot of sling.
    Working...
    X