Florida Prehistoric Art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Prehistoric Art

Blue photo shows engraved raccoon jawbones from Tick Island , Volusa county Florida..Top one is a carving..

These were most likely used in the making of composite SCC ceremonial masks..There are left and right sided ones..The motif is a variation of the running scroll..

..No camo background πŸ˜‰...Wacha think?..Thanks for the πŸ‘€

i was misinformed about coon ..I was told it’s bobcat ....always wondered why it didn’t have more teeth πŸ˜„

Click image for larger version  Name:	CCB5DEEF-9D64-4340-A439-5CD05AD6B8D6.jpg Views:	80 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	655100Click image for larger version  Name:	5D5922A2-24DC-4A8C-9723-A78B67763CAF.jpg Views:	61 Size:	124.9 KB ID:	655101
    Last edited by Hal Gorges; 09-17-2022, 11:05 AM.
    Floridaboy.

That’s really neat! Never seen one like it.
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      πŸ‘

Must have been very difficult to carve a nice curved line into bone like that. That's a very impressive artifact.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly what I was thinking..Don’t know if I coulda done it without touching the lines.

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point. They did it three times, not just once, which would be hard enough.

some great stuff Hal
    Wyoming

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      πŸ‘Brett

Just awesome I'm not sure much can top such perfect engraving. We brought home a raccoon skull going to have to figure out how to make it brown and im going to engrave in it
    "Hal # 1 in my book" on it
    Missouri

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      Put a piece of steel wool in a quart of vinegar and let is sit a day or two, sponge the mixture on it and it will turn.

• outlaws15
      outlaws15 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll try it thanks

• Mattern
      Mattern commented
      Editing a comment
      Soak it in Oak tree bark, tannic acid from the bark should tan it brown. Also black Walnut nut hulls will do the trick. K

Awe struck again. super cool

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks DaveπŸ‘

Hi Hal. Very unusual pieces indeed. You asked what we thought and I had written a very long reply after spending a lot of time and then somehow I lost it after previewing it and went back to edit it. I will now write a shorter one. At first I thought Tick Island was located on the ocean or nearby in a brackish water bay and had thoughts assuming that it was till I used google maps to locate Tick Island and learned it is in a remote area in the upper St. Johns River south of Lake George and north of Orlando about 40 miles more or less. Are these personal finds and if so have you found other artifacts nearby and under what conditions were they found and how did you get to the island? In the first photo the top jaw looks to be greatly modified. Can you provide a pic of both sides? If you answer these questions then I will likely have other thoughts.

Comment

Beautiful artifact. The carving itself is amazing, killing a bobcat with a stick and string is equally impressive.
      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        πŸ‘πŸ˜‚

Beautiful artwork. I looked up possum, racoon and bobcat jawbone. Looks like bobcat it is. The lower canine teeth seem to angle out to the side more than the others.

Hal, I'm pretty sure you could take the place of Dos Equis' most interesting man in the world. "He once glued a pot together just to see if all the pieces were there."πŸ˜‰
      South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        You do the same thing I do Google, Google,Google πŸ˜„πŸŸπŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

just to dang cool.
      Utah

Comment

πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŸ
        Floridaboy.

Comment