I’ve Got A Bone To Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve Got A Bone To Pick

Another bone pin from the Lake Poinsett black dirt midden , Brevard county,Florida..At 6-3/4” long with a round cross section....When hand held high quality preserved bone like this feels like polymer plastic..
    It’s come to my attention and I took it for granted that everyone knew that preserved bone this color was found in a rich black dirt, mostly in middens in Florida..Not so , some folks didn’t know..Now you do...Bone found in Florida rivers is mostly black, stained by Tannic acid
    Thanks for the 👀🇺🇸

Click image for larger version

Name:	57BC2115-6D4C-4990-ACD6-AAA90DB881D3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	245.6 KB
ID:	655550Click image for larger version

Name:	0D5A1659-720C-4988-8D9E-A8D1792EFE23.png
Views:	183
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	655551 '
    Floridaboy.

Hey Hal, That is a great pin. Interesting that the rich black soil preserves the bone. It must be similar to what happens in a peat bog.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe so Ron👍🇺🇸

Awesome!
    SE ARKANSAS

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      👍🇺🇸

Wow, don't trip while holding that thing! That's interesting about the black soil preserving bone so well, maybe we need to be ingesting a little for medicinal purposes. 😉
    South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      😂The way my joints feel all that dirt I ate as a kid is catchin up to me..I guess I’m well on my way to bein petrified..

Prehistoric knitting needle ... Outstanding ... Thanks for another treasure from your trove ...

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      👍🇺🇸

Very interesting as to how ground the end is. Can't imagine grinding bone with all the pours would be easy. I do see some deer bone with that straight line down it. I wonder if they just modified that part a little. I have no idea what it was used for.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      hey Mike I wondered about natural or worked..I used a loupe..Slightly modified looks like but I’m on the fence about that..Don’t have a natural one to compare What part of the deer..I need to research it..Thanks..Learnin somthin every day 👍🇺🇸

Hay Hal that could very well be a women's hair pin. That's what I'm thinking. Great preservation! K
    Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Kim..I believe you’re right on.👍🇺🇸

I would lean for a hair pin also. Super find.
    SE IA

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      👍🇺🇸

that thing is sweet. informative....
    Utah

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Darrel..My post’s are kinda short these days..always felt like I should explain what’s goin on 👍🇺🇸🐟

• smbore
      smbore commented
      Editing a comment
      i get it. i sure do enjoy your posts.
Working...
X