Massive pottery shard found near East Tennessee settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive pottery shard found near East Tennessee settlement

I found this 6 inch chunker in a creek that runs along a settlement I read about in an archeological paper. Its very dirty, but its pottery material made from local red clay, after examining it further with a bright light I could confirm the presence of crushed shells along the edges. I was so shocked to find it that I thought it had to be modern and almost didn't take it with me! I was hoping to be able to clean the green algae off but I was told on another forum not to touch it so I'll leave it as it lol.
    East Tennessee

Congrats, that is a very nice find! I just found my very first pottery fragments a couple of days ago, but they are tiny compared to that. That must of been a rather large bowl.
    South Carolina

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations, Tiny has its advantages when it comes to pottery. πŸ˜ƒ

• Narrow Way Knapper
      Narrow Way Knapper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Hal, I've been meaning to get some pictures posted so you can maybe identify what culture they are associated with. 😁

• Skunked
      Skunked commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd be stoked to see the pics too you for sure should post them

Cool..Never saw a hunk like that, is it crumbly..can’t imagine the whole thing πŸ‘πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸŸ.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Skunked
      Skunked commented
      Editing a comment
      It must've been a huge piece in his whole form, I will be going back to this spot soon to see if theres anything else

That must have been huge and hope you find more, nice find.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Skunked
      Skunked commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I hope so too

very nice

Comment

I have been told the very large pots were used for grain and seed storage.
      SE IA

Comment

Working...
      X